The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My new BIG pond!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 2 1
by langford on June 23, 2006 03:40 AM
Karrie, Do you think that that tape will work with the liner i have?? i am so nervous to use this liner..but i think it will be fine for a good 5 years..and by that time i'll want to change it anyhow..ya know?
by Karrie on June 23, 2006 04:30 AM
What exactly is your liner, is it the thick black plastic stuff? If its that I cant be sure. Ya know if it is that...........this may sound crazy but heck I will go on with it any way..........You could get some wax paper put some below it and above it, you would have to work slowly on this... place a small board on the bottom then the wax paper then the liner then the wax paper and iron it. That would seam it. I mean if its plastic just melt it together. My kids and I do this with thick pound size baggies. We put crayon shavings in them make a design out of it I put it between wax paper and we iron it. This is how we make our stained glass windows. lol Might be a crazy idea but it was a thought I had on the matter. Us Hoosier Gals are always a lil crazy any way! [Big Grin] [tongue] [nutz]

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by langford on June 23, 2006 05:43 AM
Yeah it's a thick black..it's a visqueen liner..that's a good idea...i'll have hubby get some more at work..and see if we can do that...we also have a heat gun..that might work in the same manner as the iron..what do you think? That we are (hoosier girls) ..seem to do everything strange...
by Karrie on June 23, 2006 07:29 AM
Even if we do it strange who cares so long as we get it done. I sure miss Indiana, you just don't know what ya got till your gone. I just finished mowing my back yard. I had my son sit in the garden wagon on the back with the hand held seed spreader and just go crazy as I mowed real slow.. That is one way to seed the lawn. lol.....He loved it.

I believe we just might have a means of tacking that pond liner for you. Great minds at work here on the garden helper forum. Keep me posted on your progress. I am anxious to see how it goes.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by langford on June 23, 2006 07:41 AM
I am very anxious to see how it goes..but then again..i'm sure something will go wrong..hehe..maybe i should have a bit more faith in myself..my fish are so anxious to move to there bigger surroundings..yes i do know this..they told me themselves..haha..i will definatly keep ya posted..thanks for the help too..definately appreciated..so how long ago did you move? and why?
i'll bet your boy had a blast..!!
by Karrie on June 23, 2006 07:54 AM
I moved in November of last year. My husband was offered a wonderful job more money, more respect, and much much more time at home. I do have to say I don't miss Indiana as much as I missed him in Indiana. His former employer were slave drivers they sent him to japan for months at a time, and when he was here he worked a minimum of 12 usually 14 to 16 hours a day. This place offered him more money more self respect and more time with us. So we packed up and took off to Tennessee. I had lived on the same road for most of my life 24 of my 31 years to be exact. I do love it here, but I sure miss my yard. My sister is in my old house and she could care less about the yard. I go up when I can and do the yard weeding and such, its just not the same. I had a call from a neighbor wanting to know what a certain kinda flower was in my yard, he said everyone is coming by to look at my yard. That broke my heart. I had planted 36 different types of day lillies last year and my king author Delphinium is what everyone in town is throwing a fit over. My clematis took off like crazy for the first time ever. I just am trying to look at it like this I am beautifying the world one yard at a time. Now I have a new canvas to "paint" this year. I have some pics I am gonna post this weekend. This yard didn't have a single thing in it, other then some ugly green bushes. Well now its got color!

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by langford on June 23, 2006 08:11 AM
Yeah i'm thinking that job would have to go as well..Tell hubby congrats as well..my husband just got a promotion as well..and we now have more of a normal life..well as far as normal goes who really knows..but to us it is much much better...wow...now do you ever go pick any and take them back to your house? i'm thinking i would be digging the stuff up..Where do you think i could get these king author delphiniums...the house we bought a few years ago..the lady that lived there previously was a gardening freak.i thought i was bad..but this lady had so many freakin flowers..i could keep splitting them forever and still not have any room..i am going to split some of them up in front to go around the pond.just not real sure what to put back there..i want it too look like a pond..not a flower garden, ya know? i just went and picked up some free perrenials from this lady here in town..got them off that free site..that was nice..hubby was like..and now where would these be going? i said..ummmm around the pond?? hehe..he's like great..MORE..just what we needed..i said variety is what we need..hehe..so where abouts in tennessee..nice area?
by Karrie on June 23, 2006 11:44 AM
We are in wayyyy west hubby actually works in Missouri............lol you should see the faces folks make when I said were moveing to Tennessee so hubby can work in Missouri......lol. I plan on going back this fall and digging up those lillies. If I catch the delphinium in seed, I will be happy to share them with you. Wish me luck on that one.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by eclo on June 23, 2006 06:10 PM
Good Luck! [tongue] as for tapimg the liner together.... lemme send you some suff.... I have some shrink wrap stuff I use at work.... you have to heat it with a heat gun..... but it seals visqueen... its kinda like stich witch stuff..... but for plastic...... how muych you need?

See Ya in the Garden!
by langford on June 24, 2006 03:37 AM
Oh that would be awesome thank you Karrie and good luck with that...And Eclo..WOW..that's awesome..thank you so much..i would say i need oh geeze..i'm not sure..i haven't measured..ummmm is it something i could buy in a store? cause i will just pick it up if i can..so you don't have to send it..and then i can go back and get more if need be..if not..i would say about 10 feet..maybe more? i don't know how it's made..i have to seal it at the top and probably at the bottom..i'm going around a tree so i have to attach the two sides at both top and bottom..i would say that should be good..do you think?
by eclo on June 25, 2006 02:05 AM
Heyas Langford.....

We buy this stuff here locally and I'm sure you can buy it somewheres close to where you are. It's the same stuff that you see the brand new bass boats on the semi trailers wrapped in.... but it takes more than a hair dryer to heat it up enuff to seal good. Lemme see if I can find a distributor for the same stuff in your area. Might be tommorrow or so b4 I can get back again to post. Lots of stuff going on! I just found out my youngest daughter is pregnant! This will be grandchild #4 AND IT'S A BOY!!!!! [flower] [thumb] [clappy]

See Ya in the Garden!
by Karrie on June 25, 2006 03:14 AM
Congrats Eclo. That is wonderful news, now papa will have a garden helper in a few years. [thumb] [clappy]

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Squirrel on June 25, 2006 08:35 AM
That's GREAT, Eclo. [clappy] Another gardener coming into this world. [thumb] [flower] [flower] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by langford on June 26, 2006 12:29 PM
wow, congrats eclo!! And thanks for looking into that. Very much appreciated.
by eclo on June 27, 2006 07:43 AM
Here is a link to pond liner repair sealer tape but geeze is it expensive [Frown] Scroll down and on the left side is a link to the "Repair" section. The link didnt hook up to the exact page I wanted it to! I tested the stuff I have using visqueen plastic and the heat gun used to shrink this stuff is too hot... [Mad] [Eek!] it melts the visqueen [dunno]

See Ya in the Garden!
by langford on June 28, 2006 02:14 AM
Alright, so back to square one...what do you think i could use? I mean there has to be something..right? Maybe i should call the store i got the visqueen from (hubby got it from a dealer through work) maybe he should call..and i'll see if they have something or some sort of suggestion...I am thoroughly at a loss with what to do next.. How is that new grandbaby?
by eclo on July 13, 2006 04:54 AM
Hey all...

Been really busy both at work and at home so I haven't been able to post our "BIG POND" progress and then my digital camera quit working so I don't have any update pictures [Frown] but we got the pond filled! [clappy] We ended up using a liner that all the fish hatcheries are using now. Fairly new on the market and man alive is it tough stuff! A single piece 30'x 40' was $468.00 It is called PPL24. It is twice as puncture and tear resistant and 2/3rds lighterweight than the traditional rubber liners. I will try to get a few pics soon. Oh yeah, I got the big waterfall halfway built up too! already got the pump and filter running also! [thumb]

See Ya in the Garden!
by langford on July 15, 2006 02:53 AM
Wow...congrats...can't wait to see the pictures!! I haven't had time to do mine yet..i've been so busy with the kids..which i don't think there is anything more fun watching than kids having fun...so i guess the price is worth the wait..heehe
by Dixie Angel on July 15, 2006 03:13 AM
I am totally green with envy! Beautiful job, Eclo!

Dianna

-
 -
by loz on July 15, 2006 06:30 AM
Oh man, I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product, it looks fantastic!
by Karrie on July 15, 2006 07:56 AM
What I just saw rendered me speechless! Its going to be a beautiful place. I am so jealous! Naaaa Happy for you though! What a glorious place that is going to be! Keep pic's comeing!

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Merme on July 16, 2006 07:46 PM
This is so marvelous, eclo, I can't wait to see more photos also!

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by Jiffymouse on July 17, 2006 03:37 AM
WOW! [thumb] i like it!
by Triss on July 17, 2006 06:23 AM
AMAZING! A beautiful spot you are creating there!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by jakesangel on July 29, 2006 03:17 PM
Awe!! I just read the whole thread..got all excited to see the finished product. The earlier photos looks BEAUTIFUL Eclo. Can't wait to see the finished pond!

-
Country Roads  -
by Calean on August 11, 2006 08:02 AM
Hello! [wavey]

You mean I just read through five pages with great anticipation and the storybook isn't finished yet?? AARRGGHH!!! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Kinda like reading a who-dun-it. . . and just as the great detective is to reveal the murderer, you find out that page is missing!!! [Roll Eyes]

[clappy] [muggs] CONGRATS on the new "assistant gardener" on the way!!

By the way - in one of your pics of your smaller pond you have a purple iris of some kind - what is it??? [thinker]

Calean [nutz]

Smile! You never know who's looking!
by eclo on August 15, 2006 05:54 AM
Hey all....

So sorry that I haven't posted recent pictures of the new big pond but my digital camera has shot craps and I have again been working lots of overtime and haven't made it to the post's recently. Seems I can't get anything done for having to work all the durn time! [Frown] I will tell you that we now have thirty or so goldfish, shubumkins and comets. A dozen mosquito fish, a couple of bitterlings and about 200 guppies! Oh, and a couple of frogs that we believe are bullfrogs. Got two waterfalls going and three small fountains. Unfortunatly we have gone through two big pumps already and are on our third one now. Dr's Foster and Smith have been very good about replacing the defective ones so far. I hope this one lasts a bit longer than the previous ones. Will try to get some pics posted soon! Oh, Caleon, those are just plain old run of the mill Japanese iris! They do really well with the rhizomes just at the surface of the water!

See Ya in the Garden!
by gardenfairy on August 15, 2006 06:01 AM
I can't wait to see!!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by Triss on August 15, 2006 06:41 AM
Looking very forward to more pics as well!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: