The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cat tails

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by rturick on August 22, 2005 02:43 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions, other than pulling them out, on how to get rid of cattails? Our 1/2 acre natural pond is getting over run with them...
by tkhooper on August 22, 2005 05:05 AM
Not a clue but if you pull out a double handful you can send them to me. I love them in dried flower arrangements especially if you add some pussywillows in the same arrangement. I know you probably don't see them as an asset if they are overrunning your yard but I would check with the florist and see if she knows of someone who would be willing to harvest them. They sell really well for dried flower arrangements.
by Triss on August 23, 2005 11:06 PM
TK is right on the use in floral arrangements. And dried, they work really well to ward off mosquitoes when you burn them. Mom used to do that all the time.

On getting rid of them, I have no idea. Sorry.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by suna on April 21, 2006 08:45 AM
I've been looking for an answer to that question. This publication gives some reasonable options. None are easy or ideal. I plan to try cutting them off under the waterline. If I had better control over water level, I'd try the flooding method where you cover the new growth with 3-4 feet of water. It also names an herbicide that works

http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0011.html
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 08:42 PM
Do they grow from seeds??? I am sure there are a lot of people who would love to trade you for some... [grin]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by njoynit on April 25, 2006 09:33 AM
yes they grow from seeds.
I moved 1 lone stalk to pond& in a year had 12 stalks.I've removed mine since.
I know we use a herbacide on a portion of the fishing pond for keeping the lilly pads down,but it don't list cattails on the can.I think the crystals we are useing this year are different from the liquid stuff from before.May check your feed store.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by langford on April 26, 2006 05:34 AM
About these cattails...they grow in the ditches down the road from me, think i could pull them out and replant them? Now does anyone know if i can plant them next to my pond..not in it? i mean i would think so cause they are growing in the dang ditch..anyone got any ideas?
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 03:51 AM
Try it lang then you can send me some seeds [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 03:54 AM
Will do..where do i find these seeds?? i'll grab ya some roots & send those to ya..then all you should have to do is plant the root..right?
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 04:09 AM
I have no clue but I think you let them die off in the fall and when they look like fluffy that is the seed part.. we don't have any here but we used to have them in Oregon..

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 04:12 AM
Oh..that's how the reproduce..i got it..do you want the roots for this year..or ya just want the seeds in the fall? i can do either..not a problem?
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 04:13 AM
I don't know I will look it up and see what it says about catails and the best way to grow them are

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 04:42 AM
cool..i'll be waiting to hear back..i hope i can just dig them right out of the ground here..ya know? that would be cool...already mature plants..hehe
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 07:56 AM
I just read a thing that says they spread by roots so I guess the root might work? [dunno]

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 08:03 AM
Well as soon as i see them sprouting from the ground..i'll get your address..i'm not kidding they grow wild down the street from..and they are big..i just bought 2 water lily's..baby cattail, calla lily..and some other thing in this kit..from wal-mart..hope they work..
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 08:40 AM
It should work fine... just make sure you pull the callas for winter storage!

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 09:53 AM
good deal..got it..thank you so much for your help here..i honestly appreciate everything...
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 10:29 AM
No problem Lang!! [muggs]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum