The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Homemade hummingbird food?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Homemade GreenHouse/Hotbox| Next thread: Homemade Lemon Cake »
Back to Thread index
by Tonya on August 16, 2006 04:36 AM
I know it can be made, but do not remember the recipe. Sugar, water, red food coloring, but in what amounts??

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by melcon6 on August 16, 2006 05:30 AM
DO NOT USE RED FOOD COLORING!!!!!!!!!! The kind of red food coloring sold is NOT safe for hummingbirds, besides you don't need it, they will come for the sugar not the color. Use red flowers or ribbons to attract them. The recipe is 4 parts water to 1 part sugar, boil for 5 minutes, cool/chill. Store any leftover in the fridge. Use up within 1 week.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Tonya on August 16, 2006 09:43 AM
Thanks Mel! I had not made any yet because hubby also said NO to the food coloring... [kissies]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by loz on August 16, 2006 10:59 AM
Often I just buy a feeder that is totally red and then I don't have to tie anything on it! [thumb]
by Thornius on August 16, 2006 11:55 AM
They have feeders made to look like giant red strawberries that are good.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Squirrel on August 16, 2006 01:59 PM
We have one hummer, so we got a feeder. It's a red apple. Hope she will bring others back next year. [clappy] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Thornius on August 16, 2006 03:48 PM
She Will. They always return to the same area unless they die before they can return. And they bring their newky fledged young around to show them all the feeders and natural food sources. Then the mother and young become rivals and bitter enemies.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Tonya on August 16, 2006 11:26 PM
Thanks for all the help...I have a feeder that has a red bottom with yellow flowers, but the top is clear. Should I tie something on it to attract them or will they know the feeder or will the red on the bottom be enough to attract them. Also, a friens says I should take the feeders down in mid to late September so that they will migrate for the winter. Is this true?

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by melcon6 on August 16, 2006 11:56 PM
You don't need to tie anything to it, just make sure to dump the food every 3 or 4 days and make fresh, it will go bad.

Keep the feeder up until you don't see them anymore for three or 4 weeks, some people keep them up year-round, but here in Maine it would freeze. The hummers will migrate when they are supposed to , whether you have it up or not, and you want the occasional stray to have food on their migration path.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Wrennie on August 17, 2006 12:53 AM
A hummer feeder hanging in someones yard will NOT disrupt a hummingbirds natural instinct to migrate. The shorter days are another sign for the birds to leave.(a feeder up doesnt make the days any longer. [Big Grin] ) Good point about the passers through Mel! The general rule of thumb up here is hang them before mothers day and take them down after Columbus day.(october)

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Tonya on August 17, 2006 02:27 AM
Thanks guys! [thumb] [kissies]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Homemade GreenHouse/Hotbox| Next thread: Homemade Lemon Cake »