The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Look what I found this morning

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gardenfairy on August 05, 2006 08:15 AM
I was going outside this morning to get some potting soil out of my shed and look what I found....

-

-

The mama and daddy bluejay's where making all kinds of noise in the tree above. He apparently can't fly. I went to the store and when I came back he wasn't there. I hope he is ok [scaredy] Hopefully Mama and Daddy got him.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by gardenfairy on August 05, 2006 08:16 AM
Sorry I put two of the same pictures.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by TulsaRose on August 05, 2006 09:10 AM
Cute picture, Monica. Don't worry about that baby, he can fly short distances and the folks are keeping tabs on him. If you think they aren't, try picking him up the next time you see him. They will try to tear off your head. lol!

I've always loved the beautiful, noisy Blue Jays but we have very few around here now. Several years ago some type of bird virus killed off most of the Jay population in this area. It was really sad. I have a pair this year but haven't seen any sign of babies.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardenfairy on August 05, 2006 09:23 AM
I'm just hope the cats around here don't get him!! I've been seeing one Bluejay in my yard for about 2 weeks now, it's always there around 5:00 and this morning I discovered the rest of his family!!!

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 05, 2006 10:00 AM
Monica, Look at my post on Bird pictures 3 on here page 4. You and I are Twins, except the adult jays (3 of them) actually hit me and left a scratch on top of my head.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by gardenfairy on August 05, 2006 10:08 AM
When I went out the second time this morning, there was one adult jay that was swooping down at me, Needles to say I made a hasty retreat back to my porch!! [Big Grin] When I found him this morning he was sound asleep!!

-

Monica

-

by gardenfairy on August 06, 2006 12:57 PM
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] Something got my baby blue jay, I looked all over for him yesterday and hoped his mom had got him, but I found all of his feather's this morning.

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 06, 2006 01:30 PM
Poor Monica! That is the way of nature. Just take comfort in this thought, that whatever happens is supposed to happen......FOR A REASON! Perhaps the Blue Jay was sick or had a genetic defect. For some reason he was NOT able to escape his fate, while other Jays in similar circumstances had more of the ability to avoid this thing. Had he lived he would have passed this weakness on to his descendants and thereby passed on this weakness to an eventually larger population of Jays. There are better, healthier Jays around to produce better, healthier baby Jays that WILL survive so that OUR hearts don't have to break a little each time we see this sort of thing.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by gardenfairy on August 06, 2006 01:43 PM
I know, I'm a very firm believer of everything happens for a reason, but it's still so sad [tears]

Monica

-

by TulsaRose on August 06, 2006 11:51 PM
(((Monica))) Mother Nature can sure touch our hearts in more ways than one.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by penny in ontario on August 07, 2006 03:56 AM
Ahhhhh...what a cutie [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -

-
by Herbyann on August 07, 2006 04:52 PM
[Frown] Sorry about the baby bird. Mother Nature has a plan and it just doesn't make sense to us sometimes. They are so cute as baby's. My daughter and I found a tiny Blue Jay in the garden once. WE couldn't see a nest or parents.It had all it's feathers, and we didn't see a crumble of feathers so we believe he flew away home! [Smile]

[Smile] Herby Hugs,
Anne [muggs]
by Tonya on August 08, 2006 11:37 AM
Sorry about the birdie...I do agree with you and Thornius...there was a reason.

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: