The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mockingbird Retreat

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: mock orange| Next thread: Modern Art? »
Back to Thread index
by TulsaRose on August 04, 2006 03:25 AM
The Mockingbirds keep strict territorial command over this old Holly bush all year but in the winter, they get almost vicious when other birds try to steal their red berries. [Wink]
 -

We frequently play peek-a-boo through the picture window in the living room so I'm able to capture some great shots.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by slredmond on August 04, 2006 04:28 AM
Too sweet!

Sandy R.
by penny in ontario on August 04, 2006 04:36 AM
What a cutie pie!!

-
 -

-
by loz on August 04, 2006 05:30 AM
What a great picture, and how lucky you are to have them right there where you can see them! [clappy]
by Thornius on August 04, 2006 09:07 AM
OK, Boys! The Mockingbirds are retreating! We got 'em on the run! CHAAAAARGE!!!! [Big Grin]

Oh,uhhh, sorry, I misinterpreted the topic. [dunno]

I have two Northern Mockingbirds, Mr. and Mrs. Mocky that are a mated pair for life that have been coming to my feeder for about three years now. They recognize me and KNOW that I provide the food and water there. They have NO fear of me at all and let me walk up to within two feet of them anytime I want to take their picture. They go absolutely crazy with anger and outrage at the meerest sight of a Starling but seem to relish the company of any other type of bird and of people.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Squirrel on August 04, 2006 12:25 PM
That's a great pic. So cute. Very lucky that you can get so close. They know the hand that feeds. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Thanks for sharing. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Deborah L. on August 04, 2006 02:56 PM
I LOVE mockingbirds !
Every night I get a free concert !

-
 -
by Thornius on August 04, 2006 04:19 PM
I used to hear it, but then Mr. Mocky found Mrs. Mocky and together they learned about the Humans and the Bees. Now they make their own special music privately. In Early Spring, when Mr. Mocky is setting up his territory I hear it, but not as much since he has a Life Partner.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 04, 2006 11:07 PM
They do become quite accustomed to their "people" and tend to pick a home for life. I have several pair that have fledged babies this year and brought them to visit for the first time to my memory. I get serenaded every morning just before sunrise while I'm running the hoses and enjoying a cup of coffee. If I'm real lucky, the Brown Thrashers join in and it's quite a treat as their repertoire is much like the Mockingbird.

I know a lot of people consider them nuisance birds but I love and enjoy them very much. Their ability to mimic is unbelievable. Several years ago, one that hung out in the Trumpet Vine could sound like a car alarm...now that was annoying. [Big Grin]
 -

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Wrennie on August 05, 2006 01:24 AM
[clappy] great shots. They'll look great on my website! [grin] (ok?)

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by TulsaRose on August 05, 2006 04:37 AM
Sure it's OK [Big Grin] I love to share my pix with everyone.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Thornius on August 05, 2006 05:26 AM
My Mockingbirds used to annoy me to death and I even plotted how to get rid of them......UNTIL I noticed that they were running away nearly 100% of the Starlings that come to my feeders, but that they left ANY OTHER birds alone. I began to tolerate the Mockingbirds, then, and now my feelings get hurt if they don't check in at least once a day.

Mockingbirds, when singing, repeat the same phrase over and over again and usually slur the phrase into a different one unitl they are singing an entirely new phrase. Their call is a a loud, "CHACK!" or a hissing growling, "FIIISSSSHHT!" when they are angry or on attack. I hear the Fisht call whenever the Starlings arrive. (Or a STRANGE Mockingbird)

Brown Thrashers, always repeat a phrase TWICE and do not gradually slur to the next call. It's just phrase TWICE, then, BOOM! brand new call, TWICE! Their song has a more sweet melodic sound to it than a Mockingbirds.

Gray Catbirds, the OTHER Mimid found in the eastern U.S. repeat each phrase ONCE and go on to the next phrase. Their song is punctuated by loud, nasal cat-like calls of, "MEW!" hence giving them the name, CATBIRD. Their song is reminiscent of a House Finch or Indigo Bunting song punctuated with the MEW! call.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on August 05, 2006 06:00 AM
Thats a cute picture too Rosie [thumb]

-
 -

-
by jakesangel on August 08, 2006 12:58 AM
Awesome photo! You're so lucky to have them so close too. [thumb]

We have mockers who nest in the pear tree out front every year. This year momma mocker decided she was upset with our kitty's presence too close to her nest. She would come up to the porch bannister and squawk at her for hours on end. Kitty just sat there and watched! lol

-
Country Roads  -
by Thornius on August 08, 2006 11:57 AM
I have seen Mockingbirds dive bomb a cat and literally knock the cat down making it roll over and over. I had a Mockingbird that used to attack my lawnmower whenever I mowed the yard.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mock orange| Next thread: Modern Art? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: