The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Serviceberry tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: serrano peppers and bell pepepers| Next thread: Serviceberry Tree »
Back to Thread index
by gailo on July 26, 2006 12:19 PM
I would like to grow two serviceberry trees in my yard for the birds. I bought 2 bareroot and planted them in spring 2006. They have put out a few itty bitty leaves which turned brown. I would like to try again but was wondering if any of you have experience with serviceberry trees and maybe could give me some advice about how to grow them. Any help is very much appreciated.

gailo
by johnCT on July 26, 2006 02:57 PM
I have two Amelanchier "Autumn Brilliance" that I planted bareroot in the spring of '05. They are doing fine. Ordered them from St. Lawrence Nurseries. They'll do fine in full sun with plenty of water til they get established.

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/juneberries.html

John - Zone 6
by gailo on July 27, 2006 01:06 AM
Autumn brilliance is a hybrid and is supposed to be more hardy. That would be good for me to try. Thanks for the nursery info.

gailo
by kyjoy on July 29, 2006 11:17 AM
I have serviceberry trees and a bush, but the nursery planted them.
by RugbyHukr on July 29, 2006 01:56 PM
amelanchier do well in zones 4 & 5 from my experience.

be sure that you plant properly & water well until established.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by gailo on July 30, 2006 12:55 AM
Do you think it is too warm for them in zone 7?

gailo
by johnCT on July 30, 2006 01:10 AM
I would say they should do fine in Maryland. They are listed as hardy in zones 3 to 7.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: serrano peppers and bell pepepers| Next thread: Serviceberry Tree »
Back to Thread index