The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

evening grosbeak

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Eva's Pride Peach......Watering?| Next thread: Evening Grosbeaks »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on May 01, 2006 06:22 AM
We just had a male evening grosbeak on our deck for the first time - WOW!!!
His colors were so bright!

What can I do to get him to be a regular here?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by melcon6 on May 01, 2006 06:34 AM
Bill says sunflower seeds! [thumb] The beak is a good indicator with birds, like the cardinals it has a nutcracking beak.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Wrennie on May 01, 2006 06:45 AM
Lots and Lots and lots and lots of black oil sunflower seed on a platform feeder.
They breed in coniferous and mixed forests. They nest in trees (not boxes) any where from 20-60 feet up.Sometimes more & less. They also like the seeds of box elder,ash, maple and locust trees. [clappy]
Lucky! His female friends are very gray with a little yellow undertone and black and white in the wings.
:ters:Now for the bad news...
He probably was just paing through. Their winter range is down here but their breeding range is much further nort. (like Plattsburgh north.)
More good news...
His cousin the Rose breasted Grobeak is here in the summer! Woo-hoo! I usually get a breeding pair each summer. Same thing, offer lots & lots & lots & lots of black oil sunflower on a platform feeder. [thumb]
Maybe Mr Evening G. will come bck to your yard in the winter.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by plants 'n pots on May 01, 2006 03:01 PM
Thanks Wrennie and Mel!

I actually did see 1 rose breasted grosbeak last year, but only once. I was so hoping it would stick around...

-
 -
by Wrennie on May 03, 2006 01:40 AM
I saw my Mr Rose breasted Grosbeak on the feeder last night! Yay he's back! [clappy]

-
 -

-

by plants 'n pots on May 03, 2006 03:16 AM
YEA Wrennie! [clappy]

I set up an open dish of black oil sunflower seeds yesterday morning. The gorgeous yellow goldfinches enjoyed it for a while, until the grackles and starlings came back and cleaned it out in about 15 minutes! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Now I remember why I don't have those platform type feeders to try and attract the birds that I'd really like to have... [Eek!]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 03, 2006 08:19 AM
WOW - this is great!!! [thumb]

I just also saw a rose breasted grosbeak on my sunflower feeder! [clappy] [flower] [clappy]
He flew away when I went out to replenish the open feeder. I hope he comes back to eat, rather than the grackles and starlings... [Razz]

-
 -
by Wrennie on May 04, 2006 01:35 AM
Mine was back yesterday too! [clappy] Mrs Cardinal didn't like him on HER feeder, so he was polite and sat to the side till she was done.
He's a bit small so I think he's one of last years babies.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Eva's Pride Peach......Watering?| Next thread: Evening Grosbeaks »
Back to Thread index