The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

bird bath

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: bird art| Next thread: Bird Bath to Succulent Holder »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on April 21, 2006 03:43 AM
Hello everyone got a question my friend gave me her old bird bath its ceramic stand and the ceramic bowl sits on top of it but it has a lot of hard white stuff which I think is hard water?Today I soak it in bleach and water and scrub it out but the stain is still there is there anything I can do to get rid of the stain? Thank you Rita
by Jorgie on April 21, 2006 05:13 AM
Probably not from my experience. I'm sure the birds will enjoy it anyway.

Jorgie
by Thornius on April 21, 2006 05:51 AM
I wouldn't worry about the stain much. The birds will like your bath just fine. I use a $20.00 concrete birdbath from Walmart I bought last year. The birds like mine so much I am going to buy another one this year. (They weigh 200 pounds, though.)

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 06:48 AM
I would leave it be. you could try lemon sometimes it will work.. wouldn't want to have to much toxins for the lil birds...

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Jiffymouse on April 21, 2006 08:17 AM
vinegar might work alssso, but i'm with the others, i'd just ignore it!
by joclyn on April 22, 2006 02:17 AM
that white stuff is lime. did you get all the crusty build up off? sometimes it's hard to get rid of, especially if it's been sitting for a while.

for any staining that's left, i'd soak it really well with fresh lemon juice and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. it'll probably lighten up some, there will still be something left tho.

to keep the build up from coming back, use bottled water.
by Wrennie on April 22, 2006 11:26 PM
If the bleach didnt work none of the other acids, vinegar etc., probably will either. If its a hard ceramic a pumice stone may scrub it off. But test an inconspicuous area first to be sure it wont damage the bath worse. Like everyone else said I'd just leave it. I have hard water, (Iron and lime) I've gotten used to my 'tie-dye' birdbath.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Jiffymouse on April 23, 2006 02:54 AM
wrennie, i hate to be disagreeable, but vinergar will desolve mineral deposits that bleach will not. each acidic compound has it's own "range" of things it will desolve, and that is why many industries will use 2 or 3 different kinds of bleaching agents to obtain the "whitest" or the "purest" color.

and i know personally that vinegar will desolve water stains (mineral deposits) that bleach will not. i use vinegar to clean my vases and bottles that i use to root cuttings in. and the beauty is that it is less toxic than chlorine bleach.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bird art| Next thread: Bird Bath to Succulent Holder »
Back to Thread index