The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

WOW--up close, and personal!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by loz on April 16, 2006 10:55 PM
I sat down to take a pic of my new window feeder now it's actually in...and a little sparrow landed and started eating.....what a cool treat, because I had my camera in hand & we only put it in the window yesterday. [grin] I can't wait until all the birds find it! [thumb] I think I'm going to hang a HB feeder near it too!

Here's my feeder! I literally have the chair right next to it...so I can sit and watch them whenever I want to! Think of the pictures I'll be able to get!!!
 -

-

-

-
by jonni13 on April 16, 2006 11:15 PM
That is way cool, Loz. And I love the feeder, too.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by afgreyparrot on April 16, 2006 11:23 PM
Oh, man! That is so COOL! [grin]
I wish I could have one of those. Lola would love it!

(Unfortunately, the cat would REALLY love it!)

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on April 16, 2006 11:33 PM
Don't mind the window, that's the only one in the kitchen that Mark hasn't trimmed out yet.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this feeder....I could waste my whole day sitting there watching it. [Big Grin]
by Triss on April 17, 2006 02:30 AM
That is just the coolest thing Loz. I cannot wait for more pics from you. Are you able to open any of the window panes so you can fill the feeder or do you go outside for that???

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by loz on April 17, 2006 02:50 AM
Yep Triss, that middle window section opens straight up so I can fill it from the inside which is nice....so if you put it in a window where you can't reach it from the outside it's no problem!

One of the best things I ever bought!!!!! [thumb]
by Triss on April 17, 2006 02:52 AM
That sure makes it easy, especially if you have it up on the 2nd floor!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on April 17, 2006 04:16 AM
loz - that is such a wonderful feeder!
I can see how you would want to spend the entire day sitting there watching your birdie friends!

Can't wait to see more pictures! [clappy]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by MissJamie on April 17, 2006 05:06 AM
wow!!! that is SOOOO COOL!!!! I wish I could have one but as cindy said....my cat would REALLY REALLY love it [Big Grin]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Thornius on April 17, 2006 05:20 AM
Your little sparrow is a Chipping Sparrow, Loz. One of the Springtime Migrants. They nest in our area, so you might have a regular Summertime customer there.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Jiffymouse on April 17, 2006 06:05 AM
i want one [Eek!] please post the url so i can get one... that is too cool!
by loz on April 17, 2006 06:27 AM
Cool Thorny! I wondered what a chipping sparrow looked like exactly!

Jiffy, they don't have any left like the one I got.....but other places do. The place I got mine has this one though and it's cheaper.

window birdfeeder
by loz on April 17, 2006 06:34 AM
There's also this one if you have casement windows.

birdfeeder
by Wrennie on April 18, 2006 04:14 AM
There are a couple of co's that make those window feeders. That one looks like a 'The Birding Company' feeder. There are also feeders that stick to the outside of the glass or use tension bars so your window closes the whole way.
Great picture of the chippy! Theyre one of my springtime favorites.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Starla in GA on April 18, 2006 04:49 AM
That is so neat!! I WANT one of those! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [thinker] now to find one (or build one)!

GREAT shots btw! Can't wait to see more! [thumb]

~*~Starla~*~
 -

Pictures of: My back yard "garden" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107756626&idx=0
Pictures of :My back yard "visitors" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253
My water garden in progress http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106370269
by loz on April 18, 2006 09:38 PM
I'm still waiting on more birdies to find it....there must have been a few when I wasn't around because there is some more seed missing.
by Triss on April 19, 2006 02:20 AM
Loz, Is your one with the one way stuff so you can see the birds, but they cannot see you?

-
 -
by loz on April 19, 2006 02:42 AM
Yep Triss it is, that's the best part of it I think...

I could've made a wooden ledge for a birdfeeder that mounted to the window but it wouldn't have been the same without the one way stuff.

I can sit there and they really, honestly can't see me at all. From the outside it looks just like a mirror.....

Here's a pic from the outside!
 -
by Triss on April 19, 2006 05:22 AM
That was what I was wondering cuz I want to see if my FIL can make one for us. I am going to have to look for one way glass or plastic or something for it. Thanks for that pic.

-
 -
by loz on April 19, 2006 06:54 AM
Cool Triss!!!!! I was thinking of having Mark build me one but I knew if I stuck it on his list it would be months and months before it was finished...not because he's slow, he just has so much other stuff to work on.

I hope he can make one for you! [thumb]
by Triss on April 19, 2006 07:31 AM
I hope so too! He likes that kinda stuff and if I get a plan and the glass, he wil probably do one for us and for mom!

-
 -
by Pinkhorseofcourse on April 19, 2006 02:48 PM
Totally cool.. so it is inside the house?? Neat!! I would love to have one, but I have outside cats. [Frown] [flower]
by loz on April 19, 2006 10:34 PM
Yep, technically the birds are eating inside your house!!! [thumb]
by Thornius on April 20, 2006 01:19 AM
I had a Carolina Wren literally inside my house the other day. I was sitting on my porch with the front door open. My wife excitedly called for me to come in the house. Somehow, a Carolina Wren had sneaked passed me (they're good at that)and was sitting on the back of the couch. It then flew into the kitchen. When I went to the kitchen to get a look it flew through the living room and out the front door again. It's welcome to come back for Tea anytime.

-
 -
by loz on April 20, 2006 01:31 AM
Is your wife a bird enthusiast like you are Thorny?????
by Triss on April 20, 2006 01:46 AM
Now that is up close and personal Thorny!

-
 -
by Jorgie on April 21, 2006 05:22 AM
We had a House Finch that built a nest right next to our family room window in the vines last year. It was really fun watching her raise her family.

We just about broke up, because when we turned on the tv she would turn around and look in the window like she wanted to watch too.
by Thornius on April 21, 2006 07:27 AM
My wife likes to look at birds, and knows many of them but she doesn't go out with binoculars or cameras like I do. Her interest is more like, "Oh! There's a pretty bird!" and I reply, "Yes. That's a Turdus Migratorius, or American Robin. One of many species of the Thrush family, known for frequenting suburb yards, its VERY tame nature, and its fondness of earthworms in Spring and Summer and berries in the Fall and Winter." [Big Grin]

-
 -
by loz on April 21, 2006 11:27 PM
Yeh, my husband is learning a lot about the birds from me, and I'm learning a lot about them from you! [Wink] [thumb] [Big Grin]

I had a few visitors today! Sorry about the first one, I was so excited I forgot to turn the flash off. I'm so happy about these Goldfinches!

-

What exactly is this one?
 -
by Thornius on April 21, 2006 11:31 PM
Your Goldfinches are females. Your mystery bird is a female also, a Brown-Headed Cowbird.

-
 -
by loz on April 21, 2006 11:34 PM
Thanks Thorny. I know the male Brown-Headed Cowbirds easily, but not the females yet. And how exciting to have 2 female Goldfinches...that means more baby goldfinches! [grin] Do they just nest once a year in the spring??? Or several times through the year???? They're becoming my fav. bird! [thumb]
by Triss on April 22, 2006 01:15 AM
They are so pretty Loz. I hope you get babies there later in the season as well. Now THAT would be way cool too!

-
 -
by Thornius on April 22, 2006 06:25 AM
Goldfinches, like Bluebirds raise several batches of young a year. I got a picture of two male Brown-Headed Cowbirds today in a yard about 1/2 mile from my house doing their weird point-your-bill-at-the-sky, dance. I also heard a Yellow-Breasted Chat, Summer Tanager, Killdeer, and possibly a White-Eyed Vireo. All of these bird are migrants except for the Killdeer which is a year-round resident.

-
 -
by Thornius on April 22, 2006 06:28 AM
Oh! and BUNCHES of Barn Swallows, too! [grin]

-
 -
by loz on April 23, 2006 03:56 AM
Because it's pouring down with rain the birds are going crazy in my feeder this morning.... [shocked]
by Triss on April 23, 2006 04:55 AM
That sounds like fun Loz! How did you survive the storms last night?

-
 -
by loz on April 23, 2006 05:00 AM
They weren't too bad actually......the rain is super heavy, but I only heard a few rumbles of thunder. [thumb]

They've totally cleaned me out on food on that feeder....good thing I have 4 more bags here! [Big Grin] [thumb] I guess I'd better fill 'er up!
by Triss on April 23, 2006 05:06 AM
WOW, that is a lot since your last pic. Has to be so fun to watch though!

-
 -
by loz on April 23, 2006 06:24 AM
My 4 year old niece was sitting at the kitchen table and saw her first bird land on it....

She was ALL smiles and kept saying, I'm so close to it! [Big Grin]
by Triss on April 23, 2006 06:32 AM
That is too cute.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: