The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

how can i identify bird songs???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by pagarden on April 14, 2006 05:39 AM
is there a website i can listen through or something? i've heard 2 distinct calls the past few days- i can't find the birds to see who they are. the only song i know from just hearing it is the chickadee. [Embarrassed] there's one that sounds like "peter-peter-peter-peter" and it's sort of loud. the other sounds more like a whistle of "woohoo". it's odd and they are so distinct and loud. any help would be great! [Smile]
by Thornius on April 14, 2006 06:01 AM
Peter-peter-peter is the mating song of the Tufted Titmouse. The best way to learn to identify bird songs is, "Practice, practice, practice." [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] We birders use phrases and sentences. The White-Eyed Vireo says, "Quick! Gimme a rain check!" The Barred Owl says, "I cook for me, who cooks for you-all?" Thw White-Throated Sparrow, that nests and raises its young in Canada says,"Oh, Sweet, Can-a-da, Can-a-da, Can-a-da." The White-Throated Sparrow spends its Winters in the US, and we US birders know that it is REALLY saying, "Poor Sam Peabody, Peabody, Peabody" although what that has to do with the US I am not certain. Carolina Wrens must be a touch British because their song is, "Teakettle, Teakettle, Teakettle." There are many many sites on the internet where you can listen to and download for free recordings of any bird songs or calls anywhere in the world. The Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology is one of the best sites for this. eNature.com also has field guides and sound recordings for many birds, animals, insects, amphibians, and plants. I also like Greg Kunkel's site on bird songs. I personally think that the Louisiana Waterthrush sounds like, "Teacher, Teacher, Please don't hit me!" and everyone knows that the Rose-Breasted Grosbeak says, "Pink!" [nutz] [nutz]

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by patches1414 on April 14, 2006 07:48 AM
Thanks Thornius! [thumb] I used to have a tape of North American birds and somehow it got lost when I moved. [Frown] I haven't bought another one because I know as soon as I do, I'll find the other one. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by pagarden on April 14, 2006 10:42 AM
oh thank you thornius! i found a sound file and yes that's him! woohoo!!! that's so exciting! i've seen them around too- i think they are just way too cute. any ideas for the pure whistle of "woo- hoo"?? the "hoo" is lower than the "woo". cornell wouldn't let me listen to their files- i even downloaded real player too! i heard the titmouse on another website, but since i don't know the bird who uses the other call i'd have to listen to all the files to find that one call.
by Thornius on April 14, 2006 10:51 AM
If we hear a bird but don't see it we include that bird as being present at that location. Eyesight is one or two dimensional thereby limiting the number of birds you can find by sight, but hearing is 3-D you can hear birds that you can't see at all, so I find that hearing and identifying birds by their calls, songs, and sounds is at least as important and is probably much more important than eyesight. And for certain groups of birds, like the Empydonax Flycatchers for example, the song is the ONLY way to distinguish the different species. Empydonax Flycatchers encompass several species that are SO identical in appearance that the only way to distinguish them is by DNA testing (impractical and expensive!) or by their song. Each species of Empydonax has a distinctive and TOTALLY different song from all the other species of Empydonax.

-
 -
by Thornius on April 14, 2006 10:55 AM
Pagarden, try the song of the Black-Capped or Carolina Chickadee. we say that they are singing, "Fee-bee, Fee-bay" The first note is higher than the second.

-
 -
by pagarden on April 15, 2006 04:55 AM
nope- not a chickadee. it's louder and slower. i'll look around and see if i can try to identify it.....

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: