The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dessert for Thanksgiving

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by hisgal2 on November 11, 2005 07:58 AM
I need a really good dessert idea for Thanksgiving. I absolutely LOVE making cheese cakes. They are my favorite! So, an unusual one for Thanksgiving would be cool. I don't like to make a duplicate of a previous year's cheese cake either. I've already done a pumpking one last year and a peanut butter cup one the year before. ..can't remember off hand what the year before that was.

I'm also going to make a couple batches of Bill's recipe for the pumpkin cookies...sounds DELICIOUS!!! I can't wait for THANKSGIVING!!! Anyways....can anyone help me???...give me some ideas???

-
 -

-
by Bill on November 11, 2005 09:36 AM
when I read your recipe request my mind flashed back to one of the yummiest desserts I ever ate but I couldn't remember the name so I made a couple calls and will have the recipe for "fruit pizza" sent to me in the next couple days. (She doesn't have internet! [shocked] ) Its basically a pizza (pie crust) shell with that cheescake stuff, star fruit, kiwis, strawberries and lots of other yummy stuff! (one of those things that make you fatter by just looking at it.
I never made it so I don't know, but Linda said most people won't bother with it because it has several steps to make. But really good things always take time and effort... right?
I guarantee that it will wow your guests! I will post the recipe here as soon as I get it.... even if you don't make it, you'll drool when you read it! Yummmmm. I think thats what Ill make to take to Shauns for turkey day... Yes... my son actually invited [grin] ME to Thanksgiving this year!

-
by hisgal2 on November 11, 2005 09:38 AM
Haha....Bill....I live in an area where there a LOTS of Mennonites around here. That is one of their favorite desserts to make!!! I have it at least once a year! ...although, I've never made it. I like that idea...although, maybe I'll make that AND something else. I just LOVE making desserts!

-
 -

-
by gardenmom32210 on November 11, 2005 10:24 AM
Have you ever had a White Chocolate-Raspberry Cheesecake? They are simply "to die for" [thumb]

I usually serve this already sliced,raspberry sauce on top with a dab of Vanilla whipped cream.

WHITE CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE WITH
RASPBERRY SAUCE

9 oz. pkg. Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers, crushed
1/4 c. butter, melted

Heat oven to 325 degrees. In medium bowl, combine crust ingredients; mix well. Press in bottom and up sides of 10 inch springform pan. Refrigerate.

FILLING:

2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
12 oz. pkg. (2 c.) vanilla milk chips, melted
1 c. whipping cream
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla

In large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Add remaining filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour into crust-lined pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 55 to 65 minutes or until edges set. To minimize cracking, place shallow pan 1/2 full of hot water on low oven rack while baking. Center of cheesecake will be soft. Turn oven off; let cake stand in oven for 30 minutes with door open about 4 inches. Remove from oven; cool to room temperature on wire rack. Remove sides of pan. Refrigerate overnight.

RASPBERRY SAUCE:

10 oz. pkg. frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/3 c. red currant jelly

To prepare sauce, drain raspberries and set aside; reserve syrup. Add water to syrup to make 3/4 cup. In small saucepan, combine syrup mixture and cornstarch; mix well. Stir in jelly. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and clear. Stir in raspberries. Refrigerate until cold. Serve with cheesecake.

Servings: 16
by WyoMom on November 15, 2005 07:59 AM
I found this in my Taste of Home cookbook (2001)

Apple Cream Pie:
4 c. thinly sliced peeled tart apples
2 T. sugar
2 T. lemon juice
1/4 c. butter
1 pkg (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 c. cold milk, divided
1 pkg (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 pastry shell (9 in.), baked
1/4 c. apricot preserves or strawberry jelly, melted

In a large skillet, saute apples, sugar, and lemon juice in butter until apples are tender. Cool. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth; gradually beat in 1 cup milk, dry pudding mix and lemon peel. Add remaining milk; beat until thickened. Spread into pastry shell. Arrange apples over filling. Brush with preserves. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Brush with additional preserves if desired. Yeild: 6-8 servings

I have made this a lot and love it. I love cheesecake and this is by far the easiest pie I have ever put together. I have a few other recipes but I will have to hunt them down.
Nancy
by angelblossom on November 16, 2005 11:01 AM
Hisgal2: Here's a cheesecake that's at our table every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

APPLE-PECAN CHEESECAKE

CRUST
1&1/4 cup finely chopped pecans lightly toasted(spread on baking sheet 5-10 min@375) cool completely
2/3cup flour
1/2cup flaked coconut
1/3 cup margerine or butter melted(you may need a little more)
combine pecans, flour,coconut in medium bowl, stir in melted butter .. Place in spring-form pan and press into bottom and up 2 inches of sides.. and set aside...

Filling 2(8oz.) pkg. cream cheese soften
1(14oz) can sweeten condensed milk
1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate thawed
3 eggs
3/4 cups finely chopped peeled/cored apples
BEAT crm cheese untill fluffy.. gradually beat in sweeten condensed milk...add apple juice, eggs..beat on low untill combined.. Stir in chopped apples.
Pour into prepared pan and place pan on a baking sheet turned up side down.
BAKE @375 FOR 45 TO 50 MIN.
Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 min then loosen crust from sides of pan ..cool additional 30 min..then remove pan and let cool completely.

TOPPING
2 medium apples red or yellow or both. peeled/cored and thinly sliced.
1/4 cup caramel topping
additional pecans and flaked coconut

POACH apple slices in water in larg. skillet for about 1&1/2 minutes or untill soft, , Drain.
CHILL Cheesecake and apple slices in refridg. over night.
Before serving arrrange apple-slices on top of cheesecake , sprinkle with coconut and pecans..Drizzle warmed caramel topping on top and
ENJOY!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by weezie13 on November 16, 2005 10:35 PM
I had posted one here for a
"TURTLE PECAN CHEESECAKE" in the Archives...
it has carmel, and chocolate dripped acrossed it,
and pecans' on top...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on November 16, 2005 10:40 PM
Found it...
TURTLE PECAN CHEESECAKE

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on November 16, 2005 10:44 PM
Here's the FORUM SEARCH too on
CHEESE CAKE RECIPES

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on November 17, 2005 04:26 AM
You all are down right dangerous with those cheese cake recipes but I think G-mom gets the award for the white chocolate cheesecake with rasberry sauce. It just sounds so goon I put on 5 lbs reading about it.

-
 -
by weezie13 on November 25, 2005 09:16 PM
Jenn,
What did you end up making??????
Very curious if you did any of the cheesecakes??

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by hisgal2 on November 27, 2005 03:05 AM
I ended up not making a dessert. I just didn't have the time that I needed. I didn't even have time to buy anything. The trip out ws horrible. We crossed through some mountains to the western side of the state and ran into a wall of snow. We had to drive about 45 miles an hour on average....25mph in some places. The roads were icy and bad. There were accidents everywere. It ended up taking 6 1/2 hours to get there....it usually takes just over 3. But we had a good time. [Smile]

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on November 27, 2005 04:05 AM
I was just thinking of you in the store..
I checked out the cheesecakes, and it was
like $13.99 for all the decadent one's..

So, I'm cheating a little bit and got the
NO BAKE box, and will make those little individual cupcake liners one's....

Sorry to hear about your trip...
I know those feelings well...
Living in snowbelt country, that is a almost
daily experience...

But that's good to know you had a good time..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by hisgal2 on November 27, 2005 09:29 PM
I was thinking of just getting an already made pain cheesecake and then decorating it with the turtlecake topping, but I never had time.

-
 -

-
by 4Ruddy on December 04, 2005 06:19 PM
I just had a chance to catch up on this...when Mr.Bill mentioned the fruit pizza it reminded me of a munchie we have a lot...the veggie pizza (not a desert obviously) done kinda the same way...pizza crust (or you can use cresent rolls pressed out on a cookie sheet) baked. Then mix cream cheese, Ranch dressing and a little mayo...spread over the pizza crust and then cover with your favorite raw veggies chopped pretty finely. I use brocolli, carrots , green onion & cauliflower....a good assortment of pretty colors!

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by weezie13 on December 04, 2005 11:56 PM
We do those with a Tortilla shell...
Spread the room temp. cream cheese over it,
about a half an inch away from the ends..
Then put in either carrots, broccoli,
and smooshed up garlic..

Then roll it up, with some saran wrap..
and put in refrig... for later..to firm it back up.
*or to speed it up a bit, put in freezer..*

Then just before guests come, unwrap, and slice
in rolls or disc's.. and serve on platter...
garnish with curled shaved carrot or tiny~tiny broccoli floret...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by 4Ruddy on December 05, 2005 04:45 AM
Yummy Weez...I hadn't thought of tortillias! [thumb] We do the ham roll ups on the tortillias but I wouldn't have even thought about the veggies....I bet it is REALLY pretty...

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by weezie13 on December 05, 2005 06:39 AM
We use the big burrito shells,
so they're a pretty good size..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: