The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

nyjer seed (niger,thistle seed)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by MissJamie on March 27, 2006 10:55 AM
hey ya'll! I was looking up growing info on nyjer seed (also known as niger or thistle seed) and I ran across this site about nyjer that has a bunch of info on it. I think that I may try to grow this if I can get the seeds to sprout and grow but it said on the site I think or on another site I saw that they heat the seeds or something so they won't germinate [Razz] [Eek!] [Mad] [Roll Eyes] [Frown] but I'm still gonna try to grow them though [flower] but I just thought I'd share this site with ya'll in case some of ya'll have wondered about the seed like I have...and I found out that the reason it's so expensive ($16 something for a 20 pound bag!! [shocked] ) is because they import it from other different countries [Razz]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Thornius on March 27, 2006 11:38 AM
I hear it's been sterilized, too. But I heard someone else say that they WERE able to get some to grow. It's to expensive for me to use much, but I grow a lot of my Sunflower Seed.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by MissJamie on March 27, 2006 12:20 PM
yeap but that's not gonna stop me from experimenting! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] and that makes me inspired to hear that somebody actually had luck to grow them. I can't wait to grow my own sunflowers this year! those goldfinches have been eating me outta house and home...yesterday I had a feeder half full and today it was emty!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] so I had to go to walmart to get some more...we'll just see how long that'll last me!!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
by pagarden on March 27, 2006 10:09 PM
i've tried sunflowers the past few years for the birdies but the squirrels get to them before they even grow! [Mad]
by Thornius on March 28, 2006 01:13 AM
Miss Jamie, If you have a Tractor Supply Store, (TSC)in your area, you can get 50POUNDS of Black Oil Sunflower Seed there for $14.00! It's the best deal I've ever found. And they have all SORTS of new farm and garden tools, equipment, and supplies there. (And I get 20 pound bags of rabbit feed there for just $7.00! 20 Pounds lasts Two Bean Bags 2-3 months with daily feedings.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 28, 2006 01:25 AM
Miss Jamie, there IS a TSC store in Madison Heights. It is at 248 Amelon Square and there phone number is 929-6730. Give them a try.

-
 -
by slredmond on March 28, 2006 01:55 AM
Just bought a packet of sunflower seeds from KMart - Martha Stewart (OK, nobody make fun of me!) called "Teddy Bear." They are absolutely ADORABLE! The centers are, well, fluffy. Don't know if the birds will like but they should be too cute along with the packet of picked sunflower seeds I picked up.

Sandy R.
by slredmond on March 28, 2006 01:59 AM
Looks like I was trying to type a tongue twister!! [Big Grin] [Confused] [nutz] I meant to type "along with a packet of MIXED sunflower seeds!" Sheesh! Obviously had too much caffeine trying to get going on this Monday morning!! [sleepy] [sleepy] [sleepy]

Sandy R.
by Thornius on March 28, 2006 02:07 AM
ALITTERATION! [grin] [grin] [grin]

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 28, 2006 04:12 AM
lol.

You all are so fun. I have some of the blackoil sunflowers and some of the vanilla ice sunflowers. I'm not really a fan of them because I like my flowers short but for the birdies and squirrels I'm willing to give them a try.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 28, 2006 07:11 AM
I have about 10,000 sunflower plants coming up underneath my feeders right now! [grin] [grin] [grin]

-
 -
by Thornius on March 28, 2006 07:16 AM
TK, the Black Oil Sunflower only get about 3-4 feet tall at the most and the blooms are about 3-8 inches in diameter. These are NOT the Russian Mammoth Sunflowers that get 8-12 feet tall with blooms about 12-18 inches in diameter, (although those are GREAT for birds [and people], too)!

-
 -
by MissJamie on March 28, 2006 08:55 AM
hi thorny! I knew there was a tractor supply store here and I know exactly where it is but thanks!

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 28, 2006 03:36 PM
Miss Jamie, I don't know what kind of thistle seed you're thinking about getting, but I think they can be very invasive. At least, the kind we have around here are, and they are like weeds. [Frown] Just one plant can produce thousands and thousands of seeds. Unfortunately, they must germinate very easily. [Frown] Maybe the ones you're looking at are a different kind. [dunno]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by MissJamie on March 29, 2006 06:59 AM
patches I know what you're talking about...that's thistle...we have that EVERYWHERE here too [Frown] I'm not talking about that kind though I'm talking about nyjer....it's also called thistle but it's not the same kind of thistle though.

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 29, 2006 05:09 PM
Okay, Miss Jamie. I appreciate the information! I didn't know if there were different kinds or not, now I know! [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: