The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Got a new feeder

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Got 2 miniature roses today.| Next thread: Got it all Done! »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on March 26, 2006 03:07 AM
It is supposed to hold nectar. Here are 2 pics...

-

-

I only have Oriole Instant Nectar.....will that be ok for other birds? The first 2 ingredients are Sucrose and Dextrose which are sweetners. Is it too early to put that out for the birds??? Its been horribly windy lately.

-
 -

-
by Thornius on March 26, 2006 05:38 AM
That may work. I don't think it will hurt the hummers and certainly won't hurt Orioles. Hummingbird nectar is nothing more than 1 part table sugar dissolved in 4 parts tap water. You can quickly mix it up yourself. No other dyes or other ingredients are necessary and might in fact be harmful to Hummers. I don't think the hummers are in your area yet. They are approximately at the Tennessee/Kentucky border right now.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by hisgal2 on March 26, 2006 05:53 AM
so do you think i could just put seed in the feeder for now? or do we have orioles around all the time? i don't know that i've ever seen them before. I've noticed some really cute birds around lately tho

-
 -

-
by Thornius on March 26, 2006 09:15 AM
Seed'll work, too! [grin] [grin] [grin]

-
 -
by Thornius on March 26, 2006 09:17 AM
Do a Google Search on Baltimore Orioles and Orchard Orioles to see what they look like. You should have more of them in PA than we do in TN. It has been 2 years since I have seen an Orchard and about 10 years since i have seena Baltimore here.

-
 -
by MissJamie on March 26, 2006 10:16 AM
nice feeder Jenn!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by patches1414 on March 26, 2006 10:38 AM
Really attractive feeder! [thumb] I love [Love] it, and I'm anxious to know see how the birds respond to it. I have my calendar marked, so I'm just waiting until it's time to put my hummer feeders out! [Wink] [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by hisgal2 on March 26, 2006 11:36 AM
feeder is from Lowes for only $10! I will put it out tomorrow with some seed to see what happens.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Got 2 miniature roses today.| Next thread: Got it all Done! »
Back to Thread index