The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

saw a NEW one today! woohoo!!!!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by pagarden on March 22, 2006 11:19 PM
spring is just around the corner huh? in the winter i really just see Juncos and Cardinals. a few stray starlings here and there but that's about it. in the past few days i've seen blue jays, a few finches, some robins, a few downy woodpeckers but today.............. i am looking out my window at my feeders, taking note that i need to so fill the seed again and on my suet feeder i see what i thought was another downy, but wait he seemed a tad bigger. so i get out my binoculars (conveniently always placed near the window just for my birdies) and low and behold a NEW bird I have never seen here before!!!!! i red bellied woodpecker! his head was much more red thatn the downy and the black/white pattern was different too. i got SO SO SO excited you'd have thought i just hit the lottery! LOL my first thought- oh i have to tell my birdie friends on the gardeneing forum! so i checked him off in my bird book! woohoo! a newbie!!!!! i hope he stays around.
by plants 'n pots on March 23, 2006 12:00 AM
Isn't it sooooo exciting?
I love when the red bellied woodpeckers come here - I can usually tell by their distinctive chirp that theya re here. They really like the suet I put out - the cheapo bricks you can buy in most stores - is that where you saw him?

They usually do stick around once they've found you - good luck!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by pagarden on March 23, 2006 01:33 AM
yup- the store bought suet feeder is where he was hanging out! i started saving the plastic containers and i'm gonna try homemade soon but for now it's still the store bought. he didn't seem to mind though. [thumb]
by Thornius on March 23, 2006 04:58 AM
When we birders see a new species of bird for the FIRST time, we call that occassion a, "Life Bird". You'll be out with a group of birders and hear some one call out, "Life Bird!" Everybody laughs and congratulates the birder who just got a Life Bird. When you see a species of bird you are familiar with in your yard for the FIRST time, we call that a, "Yard Bird" Many times a Life Bird can be a Yard Bird, or vice-versa. I have been a birder for 18 years and know almost 200 species by sight or sound, but still had 2 Life Birds last year. They were, House Wren, and American Black Duck.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by pagarden on March 23, 2006 06:09 AM
thanks thornius for that tidbit! i knew you'd appreciate my excitment!
by Thornius on March 23, 2006 07:42 AM
I LOVE Red-Bellied Woodpeckers. Woodpeckers are one of the birds I specialize in. I have NEVER seen a live Eagle of any kind EVER, but if a common Woodpecker and an Eagle appeared at the same time, I think I would look at the Woodpecker first [nutz] .
The Red-Bellied Woodpecker is the SECOND most common Woodpecker in most areas of the US, the MOST common being the Downy Woodpecker.

-
 -
by pagarden on March 23, 2006 09:16 AM
what kind live in south florida? i remember red headed woodpeckers down there and never saw a single downy till i moved up here. i didn't see them very often in fl as i lived in the city and when i did happen to see them it was only because i could hear them first, looked around and eventually would find them pecking away at a phone pole! LOL oh- but just to let ya know- i have seen eagles up in central fl over on the eastern coast. [grin] i think we were up by cape canaveral area. i have to say it was neat. BUT i have seen more total birds being up here so i get more enjoyment from the variety. [Smile]
by slredmond on March 23, 2006 09:43 AM
Congratulations in PA! Thorny - ya'll need to come to Michigan to see our eagles. My sister lives on a small lake just south of me, and they actually have a Bald Eagle that claimed the place as home last summer. They are ecstatic! The local bird sanctuary and the local zoo both have rescue Bald Eagles (injuries prevent them from being out in the wild), but they're in cages so not as fun as seeing them fly over the lake! Do you have hawks in TN? There are about three species we see here frequently, but I haven't looked them up.

Sandy R.
by Triss on March 23, 2006 10:17 AM
Congrats on the new bird PA! I know your excitement cuz I am doing the same thing here with this being my first year of real bird watching. Hope he comes back for you!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Thornius on March 23, 2006 11:26 AM
Here is a picture of Bald Eagles taken posted yesterday by Steve Fossi, a professional Bird and nature photographer and a new member of Birdersworld forum. This is probably the very BEST photo I have EVER seen of Bald Eagles.

Yes, we have several different species of hawks here in Nashville, TN in the course of a year. In the yard of the house I bought and moved into 4 years ago I have personally seen Red-Tailed Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Northern Harrier, America Kestrel. Other raptors I have had in my yard are, Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, and Barred Owl. In Nasville we get may other species of Raptors, but not being a Raptor person I'm not sure of how many more. I have seen in and around Nashville, Broad-Wing Hawks, a Merlin, and a Peregrine Falcon. I watched both the Merlin AND the Peregrine capture and kill a bird.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 23, 2006 11:28 AM
And just like my signature says my memory is going, LOL. Here is the Eagle picture.

ATTACK FROM THE RIGHT by Steve Fossi.
 -

-
 -
by Triss on March 23, 2006 11:39 AM
WOW!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by slredmond on March 23, 2006 08:07 PM
That's an absolutely amazing shot - wow. All of you birders have inspired me to dust off my field guides!

Sandy R.
by pagarden on March 23, 2006 09:45 PM
that pic is awesome!
by MissJamie on March 24, 2006 06:22 AM
wow! that's a FANTASTIC pic! It's now on my desktop as a background if you don't mind [Smile] [Wink]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by angelblossom on March 24, 2006 10:11 AM
Absolutely AWESOME Picture!!! [thumb] [clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by patches1414 on March 24, 2006 02:27 PM
That is such an awesome photo! [clappy] Thanks for posting it! They are such magnificent birds. We can take the Great River Road and go up to Alton, or Grafton, Illinois and watch them. It is such a treat to see them. [Smile]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: