The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bird pictures.....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bird pictures.....| Next thread: Bird pictures..... »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 3 2 1
by SuzyQ on August 26, 2005 03:09 AM
Hi MrsMessy. (I should have thought of that name for ME! lol)

My Ruby Throated Hummers have a lot of green, but the females don't have a red throat at all. Maybe that's what you have. The females showed up here first, then the males followed. You'll know them when you see them for sure, because the males throats really are a brilliant shade of Ruby. Don't know anything about the yellow triangles though.
by Garden Wisher on October 24, 2005 01:09 PM
My aunt has that kind of humming bird feeder. Humming birds came and I still don't get how you get the nectar or what ever is in that thing.
by gardenmom32210 on October 24, 2005 08:22 PM
I found this and thought you might be interested,MrsMessy. It explains how some hummingbirds CAN have yellow throats.

hummers with yellow throats

Hope this helps!

G-Mom [grin]
by Thornius on October 24, 2005 11:55 PM
Garden Wisher, You make your own nectar by dissolving one part sugar in four parts water. Warm or heat the water so the sugar will dissolve completely and then allow it to cool before you put it in the feeder. Replace the nectar every three to four days and it is not necessary to add red food coloring to the nectar. The feeders are designed to attract Hummingbirds.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by obywan59 on October 25, 2005 03:12 AM
Mrsmessy and gardenmom, I think hummingbirds and other birds are probably more colorful than we can know. I read somewhere that birds can see 5 basic colors whereas humans can only see 3.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Oui on November 21, 2005 09:07 PM
I love these pictures. Thanks for sharing.

http://community-2.webtv.net/hotmail.com/verle33/HummingBirdNest/

The above link is photographs of a hummingbird nest with babies....This is an incredible site.

Hope you all enjoy it
by Thornius on December 12, 2005 08:19 AM
Here are today's bird pictures. The first is of a female House Sparrow landing at one of my feeders. The second is of a Blue Jay taking off from another of my feeders.

Flight 87, you are clear for landing.
 -

Flight 139, you are clear for takeoff.
 -

-
 -
by Bestofour on December 12, 2005 10:32 AM
Looks like it was a beautiful day in Nashville today.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Thornius on December 13, 2005 01:26 AM
Beautiful, but COOOLLLD!

-
 -
by Thornius on December 13, 2005 03:04 AM
I caught this adorable little fellow doing a little mechanical, robot-like dance on the handle of my trash can in the back yard today, about 30 minutes ago. It is a Carolina Wren. Notice the bright light colored line above the eye? That is the main field mark of the Carolina Wren.

Carolina Wren
 -

-
 -
by Oui on December 17, 2005 08:33 PM
Thornius: do you have a telephoto lens or are you actually that close to the Wren?? It looks kind of puffy, is it puffy because you are close or are they naturally puffy looking??

I put Canned peaches and canned corn out in my yard recently just to see what would happen. It attracted a lot of birds..Do you think it is ok to feed birds canned peaches or corn??
by Thornius on December 18, 2005 01:44 AM
No, I do not use a telephoto lense that is just the 3X optical zoom on my Olympus D-580 Zoom camera and then I crop and enlarge it in Adobe Photoshop 7. I was about 15 feet from the Wren shooting through the backdoor window. The puffiness is due to the fact that it was quite cold that day and it had its feather fluffed and puffed out to make itself warmer.
Peaches, or any fruits are quite popular with many species of birds, especially Orioles, Mockingbirds, or Starlings. Corn is a main ingredient of many bird feeds AND most suet that you buy commercially. I feed my quasi-pet Northern Mockingbird, Mr. Mocky apple slices coated with peanut butter. I started putting out raw peanuts in the shell on my platform feeder and the Blue Jays eat them faster than I can put them out. I put out three cups about 8:00 O'clock last night and at 11:00 O'clock this morning every single one of them was gone!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Oui on December 18, 2005 08:37 PM
T_d_guy: Nope not all of us are ladies. SOOOO guy do you think that gardening and birds, butterflies are woman's work???
by dodge on December 20, 2005 02:57 AM
[Love] [Love]
loz
love the hummers.........What zoom and camera are you using.
I guess one needs a feeder to get those close ups? I cant get one to stand still..Hummer.
[Big Grin]
I have Fuji 5.2 guess that is a bummer for those close up? digital/
[scaredy]
Thanks dodge.....

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Oui on January 23, 2006 10:57 PM
I LOVE all these photos thanks to all for aharing.

Check out my new signature...Catlover should like this... <<smle>>
by GardenGuy_Gardener on January 29, 2006 10:02 AM
Those are great picks! sadly hummers dont usually come to my area [tears] oh well thats ok. We do however get SOOO many sparrows and finches that nest in the oak and the shrubs!

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by murphyette on February 14, 2006 07:59 AM
A friend said I could share this pic w/you guys. She lives in San Diego, and took this at the zoo yesterday:
 -

Jody
by afgreyparrot on February 14, 2006 11:59 AM
That is a nice picture!

I miss my hummingbirds so bad! [Eek!]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on February 14, 2006 01:21 PM
I miss mine too! And I have a cool new feeder for them....I have 4 now I think. [thumb]

Can't wait to see those little guys come back! They're so fascinating to watch zipping around. [Smile]
by Thornius on March 07, 2006 09:42 AM
Here is a rather unusual shot showing three of the more common "feeder" birds in one shot. I took this about noon today.

Northern Mockingbird, Northern Cardinal, and Carolina Chickadee
 -

Here is my friend Mr. Mocky (Northern Mockingbird)framed by the railings of my porch.

MR. MOCKY
 -

Here is a Carolina Wren that wanted to come and play with my grandson's toys.

CAROLINA WREN
 -

-
 -
by penny in ontario on March 07, 2006 11:37 PM
those are great pictures, i loved the one of kitty's back looking out the window, no doubt licking his chops (lol).
great job.
penny
by bettyboop1948 on March 18, 2006 01:17 PM
Not sure if i am doing this right i am new here [flower]  - i have picture of hummer bettyboop1948
by Thornius on March 18, 2006 01:27 PM
That is great I love the screen mesh effect! They want you to keep your picture to the size 640 X 480 Pixels though. Welcome to the forum. I am the wild bird man here. I am near you in Nashville Tn. and we should be getting the hummers back in about 2 - 4 weeks. I have two new hummer feeders ready to go. And you do not need to add red food coloring to the nectar as long as their is red on your feeder. Just mix 1 part sugar to 4 parts water and warm the water slightly to dissolve the sugar. You can store the excess nectar in the fridge. Clean the feeders and change the nectar every 3 - 5 days.

-
 -
by bettyboop1948 on March 18, 2006 01:33 PM
[Smile] [Smile] here is another shot of one  - bettyboop1948
by buzylady on March 20, 2006 01:03 PM
Hey bettyboop. What do you have in the bird cage? My daughter has a parakeet.But it has to stay in her room. My siamese cat won't leave it alone.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by Thornius on April 05, 2006 12:24 PM
Here is the latest picture of my friend and porch companion Northern Mockingbird, Mr. Mocky.

RUN, MOCKY, RUN!!!
 -

-
 -
by Thornius on April 06, 2006 05:13 AM
I am having a fair amount of success teaching my porch-pal, Northern Mockingbird, Mr. Mocky, to sing the opening line from Beethoven's 5th Symphony. Now, If I can only teach him some table manners after eating at my suet feeders [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] !

WIPE YOUR BILL!!! [Mad]
 -

-
 -
by Thornius on April 07, 2006 02:07 PM
Went to the lake today with my grandson to feed the ducks and this Canada Goose was NOT too impressed with what was on the menu.

YOUR STALE BREADCRUMBS ARE MAKING ME SICK!!!
 -

-
 -
by Thornius on April 08, 2006 06:25 AM
I usually don't care much for black and white bird photographs, but I sorta liked this one when i took it.

BLACK AND WHITE
 -

-
 -
by porter57 on April 08, 2006 07:36 AM
hey thornius
hope you didnt get any damage from that bad weather i just read about.
looks like the system that was supposed to hit us shifted south!
by Thornius on April 08, 2006 12:36 PM
It destroyed EVERYTHING 6 miles north of my house. We got 10 minutes of heavy rain and marble sized hail, but NOTHING more than that. So far 24 people are dead within 30 miles of my house. We didn't even lose electricity here. So I will Still be giving my bird reports.

-
 -
by patches1414 on April 08, 2006 01:03 PM
Hi Thornius! I was SO relieved to see your post and find out you were okay. [kissies] I was worried [Frown] when I heard that tornados hit the suburbs of Nashville. [Frown]

Take care,
patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Triss on April 08, 2006 01:03 PM
So glad that you are ok Thorny. We have been worried about you.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Starla in GA on April 10, 2006 07:32 AM
I took some pictures today of some of our visitors.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253

We still dont have a field guide yet , so would anyone like to help me identify them??

Thanks!

~*~Starla~*~
 -

Pictures of: My back yard "garden" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107756626&idx=0
Pictures of :My back yard "visitors" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253
My water garden in progress http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106370269
by Triss on April 10, 2006 07:42 AM
That looks like a goldfinch to me, but I could be wrong.

-
 -
by Starla in GA on April 10, 2006 07:57 AM
I was thinking the first one was probably a Finch. But wasn't to sure of some of the others. Especially the last one. The last one was a card LOL! HE posed for me to get a shot of him from all angles before flying off LOL~!

I can't wait until I get a field guide! I think I'll order the Sibleys one from Amazon tonight.

~*~Starla~*~
 -

Pictures of: My back yard "garden" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107756626&idx=0
Pictures of :My back yard "visitors" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253
My water garden in progress http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106370269
by Triss on April 10, 2006 08:36 AM
I guess I did not look far enough. I just saw the goldfinch the first time through. I dunno what the others are at all though!

-
 -
by Momma D on April 12, 2006 11:01 PM
OK all you hummingbird freaks - I live in NW Florida and when the weather is this nice the hummers usually keep right on going and we don't have too many. However, here are my buddies - they now have 4 babies in the nest and are coming to the deck to feed all day long - I've never posted pics before but I'll try - Lin

-

-

-

[dunno] Hope it works

Is this heaven?
by Momma D on April 12, 2006 11:02 PM
Yeah!! It worked, but do you think those pics are too big?? Aren't they cute? [clappy] [clappy]

Is this heaven?
by Momma D on April 12, 2006 11:10 PM
Starla, you have goldfinches, bluebirds, the brown one is a thrasher and there is a robin (the last one). Very Nice!! Lin

Is this heaven?
by Starla in GA on April 12, 2006 11:19 PM
ooooh thank you! I bought a field guide this week (stokes... that was all they had) so I have been looking some up.

So far I have id'd the gold finches, Brown Thrasher, Blue birds, and Towhee's oooh and I havent gotten a picture yet but we also have Mocking Birds YAY!

LOVE yours pic's btw!

ETA: I meant to tell you that I am originally from FL too. I grew up in Bartow Florida.

~*~Starla~*~
 -

by Triss on April 13, 2006 01:14 AM
Beautiful pics Lin!!!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on April 13, 2006 01:53 AM
Lin - those are terrific pictures of a beautiful bird!
Love the colors!

Lynne

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Momma D on April 13, 2006 02:27 AM
thank you, thank you, thank you, can you tell what my hobby is - [Cool] I am so lucky to be able to stay home and garden, bird and take pictures--

Is this heaven?
by Triss on April 13, 2006 02:32 AM
Very lucky indeed! What kind of bird is that?

-
 -
by Thornius on April 13, 2006 03:24 AM
Lin, looks like I have competition. You know your birds!

-
 -
by Momma D on April 13, 2006 07:56 PM
Not competition, just a fellow birder. Wish I could get out more but do most of my birding from home. I have a great yard for birds though, on a lake so I get lots of neat stuff. Is this heaven? Wow, just think someday it will be even better. Lin [angel]

Is this heaven?
by Momma D on April 13, 2006 07:58 PM
Triss, it's a male bluebird. He will bring the fledglings to the nest in about 15 days. When the babys get here, I'll put a pic of one of them on here.

Is this heaven?
by Triss on April 14, 2006 05:04 AM
That is very exciting! Cannot wait to see those!

-
 -
by Momma D on April 14, 2006 05:15 AM
Hey everyone, I have so many pictures and have never shared them with anyone so I am sort of excited. I am going to try and copy the link for my albums to this site. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do ...

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/

Is this heaven?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bird pictures.....| Next thread: Bird pictures..... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: