The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bee Balm Mildew

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bee Balm Blues| Next thread: Bee Garden »
Back to Thread index
by pocketpea on June 11, 2004 03:22 PM
How do I get rid of powdery mildew on my bee balm? Will it spread to the other plants in the bed with it? I have it planted with lantana and echinacea...
by Phil and Laura on June 11, 2004 04:53 PM
Ewww...Mildewww
Yes it will affect the lantana and Echinacea, in fact, the list would be much shorter of what it Won't affect, flowers and shrubs (short list)columbine, dahlia, delphinium, honeysuckle, ivy, lilac, phlox, privet,roses,zinnia,begonias,and monarda. And if thats not enough, in the food garden it will attack:Peas,Turnips, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Radishes, Cucumbers, Melons, Pumpkins, Squash and Carrots!
Got Milk?
weekly sprays of milk controls powdery mildew just as effectively as synthetic fungicides.(1 part milk to 9 parts water)Or
1 tablespoon of baking soda with 2 1/2 teaspoons of light oil, and mix with one gallon of water. Spray this mixture evenly over the affected plants for 7-10 days, and water only when necessary. I am organic, what you use is YOUR choice, So I will say that on the chemical controls I list...please read the label for application rates and precautions, because I have no experience with them.
Daconil 2787 or Ortho Multi-purpose fungicide)

Powdery mildew is favored by dew, intermittent rain, or sprinkler irrigation. Susceptible flowers should be planted in open areas where they will not be crowded and where they are exposed to the sun. Plants in shade are more prone to mildew than those growing in the sun. Prune during the summer to thin out any dense foliage. This will increase aeration within the plant canopy. Avoid sprinkling at night during the month of August and September. Instead, soak the soil under plants as needed. [thumb]
by pocketpea on June 12, 2004 03:26 PM
Thanks for your advice! I am also an organic gardener, so I will try the baking soda mixture. Should I move it away from the lantana? Does it spread from plant to plant or does each plant acquire it on its own because of poor conditions?
by weezie13 on June 12, 2004 03:30 PM
Pocketpea, [wayey]
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!
We are glad you found us!!

Will you keep us updated on your progress with
your plants and organic applications???
We love [Cool] to hear updates on plants, and methods!!

(I am an organic gardener too, I really hate [Mad] [Frown] chemicals and never use them)

Weezie

P.S. really like the member name, very cute!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by kcsunshine on June 20, 2004 09:11 PM
I am also having a serious mildew problem this year. The remedy that I am trying comes from a Jerry Baker book. It consists of 4T baking soda, 2T Murphy's Oil Soap and 1 gal warm water. Just started using it so am not sure of the results yet.

KC

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bee Balm Blues| Next thread: Bee Garden »
Back to Thread index