The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Brick raised bed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Brick garden path| Next thread: bridal veil »
Back to Thread index
by Rebecca150 on April 26, 2006 01:38 PM
Hello all. First time here and I am getting right down to some frugal buisness:-)

My hubby and I bought our first house. Yeah! I have a TON of brick in the garage and I want to use it to construct 4 foot by 8 foot raised beds. I want them to be about 6 to 8 inches deep.

I'll be using them for vegetable gardening. I have been planning for years to square foot garden once I had my own back yard and I am ready to get started. However I have the expense of purchasing soil and seeds and etc etc for my new yard so I want to know if it would be feasible to construct the brick beds without mortar. They will only be about 3 to 5 bricks high so Maybe???? I eventually want all my raised beds to be stone not brick so they would only have to last a year or two or three [grin] so I would rather not go through the time and expense to mortar them but I also don't want them to topple over in two months. Whatcha think?
by eclo on April 26, 2006 09:43 PM
Hmmm... my experience with brick is.... [scaredy] over ONE high... and it wont stay in place! That doesn't mean that you should give up on the idea tho! There is a way of stacking them kind of in a herringbone pattern that I saw a guy use once that he managed to build a whole wall out of them without mortar. I will talk to him and see if I can't glean a bit of info on how he done it!

See Ya in the Garden!
by Pianolady on April 27, 2006 03:53 AM
Would a couple tubes of retaining wall adhesive (uses a caulk gun) be sufficient to help her brick stay in place? Not quite as permanent as mortar, and still not too much $.

-
by Rebecca150 on April 27, 2006 04:18 AM
You know what, that might just work. After all, I only need just enough to hold it togather. I will check it out thanks!
by Saved by Grace on April 27, 2006 10:51 AM
Good idea on the bricks...weve got tons and I never new what to do with them (Im not that creative). Let us know how the adhesive works out. Would quickcrete work I wonder?

A vessel of mercy.
by joclyn on April 29, 2006 05:16 AM
lay out the first layer so that they are herringboned and pack the soil up against them well, then put the next level on, again, herringbone it. little trick: don't have the front edges exactly even - have the second level back about a 1/2 inch...make sure to pack the soil in well. do the same with any additional levels you want to add.

just make sure to pound the soil in to support the bricks! i've used a hammer or mallet to make sure i get it in well...and over time, with watering, the soil will firm up even more.

you can even put a bit of soil in between the bricks and tap them together to firm them up...i mean the bricks on each level; just to keep them connected to each other if one gets knocked, it's less likely to move if the dirt is there holding it in place - you shouldn't need to put dirt between the levels.

you should be fine for a couple of years.
by Wrennie on April 30, 2006 01:30 AM
You said your soil is very clay right? It may be gooey enough to act as a mortar alongside the put the next row back a bit idea.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Rebecca150 on April 30, 2006 02:46 AM
Well, I declare! I'm glad I am in such a smart group of people. I never thought to maybe use the clay!

I'll try anything once :-)

Jocyln thank you for the tips, I'll try that.
by markr on April 30, 2006 12:06 PM
Im a bricklayer by trade, please dont stick them together with glue and mud [scaredy] [tears]
just remember the story about the three little pigs [thinker]

-
Mark

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Brick garden path| Next thread: bridal veil »
Back to Thread index