The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Homemade Greenhouse

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Homemade Croutons| Next thread: Homemade GreenHouse/Hotbox »
Back to Thread index
by eclo on April 20, 2006 12:34 AM
My wife and I built a greenhouse out of old odd sized windows. It has served us well for the last eight years and would love to see some pictures of other peoples homemade greenhouses [Smile] I have a picture posted at photobucket [IMG]

photobucket

See Ya in the Garden!
by Triss on April 20, 2006 12:40 AM
Eclo, A lot of us here use Photobucket for out pictures. It is free and very user friendly.

Photobucket

Welcome to the Forum! Looking forward to seeing that greenhouse!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by preciousgreenfingers on April 20, 2006 08:17 PM
Hi Eclo,
Impressive greenhouse!
BTW-what is the name of the green climber growing on the front of your greenhouse?
by penny in ontario on April 20, 2006 09:01 PM
hi eclo, i love it, i would never have thought to do that, makes me want to stop at the road side and get the windows that are set out

-
 -

-
by SpringFever on April 20, 2006 10:07 PM
That is beautiful!! I love it.. What a great Job eclo.. wish I had it [grin] [wavey]
Welcome to the forum!!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by eclo on April 20, 2006 10:35 PM
The climber is a Sweet Potato vine. It is an annual here and in one season can get out of hand if not trimmed back occasionally. Gives a nice bright splash of lime green color. Another climber I really like but is hard to see in that picture is the Wild Jasmine growing up the back side. It came up completely voluntarily and is perenial. What a wonderful fragrance it has and beautiful little star shaped white flowers that blanket the roof of the greenhouse and provides
a natural insulator and helps to keep the temperature down in the heat of summer. I've got a better picture of it that I will try to post here.

See Ya in the Garden!
by preciousgreenfingers on April 20, 2006 11:24 PM
Thanks Eclo
by Triss on April 21, 2006 04:54 AM
Beautiful greenhouse Eclo! Looks so nice. I will be on the search for windows from now on!

-
 -
by eclo on April 21, 2006 05:39 AM
Well, I was going to edit my last post and add a picture but it said the time had ran out so im going to post again about the jasmine. I would love to know if anyone else has any experience with this particular plant because I have some along the fence that have almost identical leaves and growing habits but doesnt bloom like the other.... hmmmm... any hints?
[IMG]

- [/IMG]

See Ya in the Garden!
by Triss on April 21, 2006 05:59 AM
The link is not working cuz you have double the http's in it eclo. I was able to back out of that and see it. Sure looks good over the top of the greenhouse!

My mom used to grow jasmine and had it all along the wall of the house. Gorgeous flower and easy care. Bloomed really well and she just cut it back when it got too far out of the area she wanted. The bees really liked it too!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 07:24 AM
Where did you find all those windows??? I want a greenhouse like that!!! living in new england I hope to find someone doing replacement [thinker] [lala] snatch em out of the trash and ummm let them sit till I can figure out how to put them together!!!

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 22, 2006 11:16 PM
Springfeaver ask at building supplies, or building contractors to find out if they have old/used/replaced ones. We have trash dumps here. All kinds of "supplies" can be found in them. [Wink]

Preciousgreenfingers that sweet potato vine comes in a burgundy leafed variety too. [clappy]

Eclo you can dig up the sweet potato vine in fall. there are usually little taters in there too, and store it like you would a begonias or gladiolus bulb for the winter and replant. [grin] Cool greenhouse. I love the way you have it landscaped too. Is that real BIG rope around the pond? Is jasmine hard to propogate, **ahem** boy I'd like to grow that on my fence**ahem, hint [grin] Is it a native plant do you know?

We made a simple greenhouse one year using the 2 biggest windows we had. We screwed it together forming a big inverted V and hung window plastic on the ends. worked great, easy to vent. Lots of crawling on hands and knees though. [Roll Eyes]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by slredmond on April 22, 2006 11:35 PM
Wow - great job! The greenhouse looks great and I love all the landscaping you've done around it. I bought a cheap, plastic one with metal poles this spring, and I can't tell you how many times it's blown over, no matter how much we stake it down. You've given me inspiration for next year's project!

Sandy R.
by eclo on April 23, 2006 02:37 AM
Hey all... Thanks for all the wonderful compliments. [clappy]

SpringFeaver... there used to be a remodeling company right down the street from where I work... they used to set them out on the curb with a "FREE" sign on em [Smile] I must have collected 75 to a hundred windows... just pitched a bunch about a month ago [Frown] But sidewalk shoppin is a specialty of mine [Smile]

Wrennie... yes, that is a big rope around the pond [Smile] Another curbside score... downtown K.C.Mo. where the Missouri river flows thru downtown they were tearing out the old RiverQueen steamboat port so I cabbaged on to some. Heck, 3/4 of my yard is recycled stuff [Smile] As for the jasmine... I have had only limited success digging up the vine and transplanting it. I have two in 4 inch pots right now with one doing okay and the other dying rapidly. I didn't do anything different to either one, but one do... one don't! [dunno] Let me continue to try and when I have success with a couple more, I would love to send you some. I don't think you get to much colder than we do here eh? Some winters we spends weeks in the single digits... BRRRR...Wow, just saying that gave the chills!
I'm glad thats over for this year! YEA SPRING!

I'm off to work on my BIG pond! I "came upon" some wall stones and I'm gonna try to set them today! Will post my progress!

See Ya in the Garden!
by Triss on April 23, 2006 04:44 AM
Looking forward to seeing that as well as more close up pics of the areas around the greenhouse, if you would like to share. That space is amazing!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 23, 2006 03:32 PM
My husbands next Job Window watchin... Really It is beautiful!! Have a bunch of wood perhaps 2 years from now I can build something like that... on a smaller scale though! [clappy]

-
 -
by loz on April 23, 2006 11:42 PM
I just love your greenhouse [muggs] [thumb] , it's amazing what you can make from one persons "junk"....I would've never even thought about using windows to make a greenhouse.
by Wrennie on April 24, 2006 01:18 AM
Zone 5 (or 4 on a recent map I saw) here. This winter was mild. Last January we had a week of
-15* nights! {{yes thats a negative 15!! [scaredy]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by weezie13 on April 24, 2006 05:28 AM
Let me jump in here too...
What an incrediable greenhouse,
frugal, efficient and beautiful.....
all at the same time..

And I too am looking forward to more pictures..
*I love them*

My husband's friend does jobs of demolitions/take downs' like...
and he can take things out first
as long as it doesn't interfere with the scheduled take down..
He brought my husband 4 huge picture windows,
say like at least 6ft high I'd say, and 3ft wide, like a picture window panels..
He's supposed to put an addition on my mom's garage, and a small lean to off the back for me
and garden supplies, but I'd like to have him put those four panels on the side of it,
for a mini greenhouse shed thing like...
Someday... [Eek!]

But thanks again for posting that, it sure is pretty!!! *where's the green with envy gremalin?
need one here*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Triss on April 24, 2006 08:03 AM
That will be really cool too Weezie. I am going to be on the lookout for windows as well.

-
 -
by eclo on April 25, 2006 05:24 AM
Thought you might like to see a picture or two before the pond went in and before the rock . Here is a couple shots of Cyndi and I building the terraces and built but not planted yet . Not sure if this is really the right place to be posting these types of pics. Surely someone will let me know if it's not [Smile] ... Got some pics of us digging our big pond but thought I might post them at the water gardening forum [Smile] Oh yeah, here are the after photos of the small pond and the terracing from a little different angle. Heres me by the pond before everything grew in good last year! Oh yeah, every single landscape timber you see in these photos was salvaged from someone elses throw aways! [clappy]

See Ya in the Garden!
by ShazzieMc on April 25, 2006 05:34 AM
WOW. That's amazing..I want one.. [thumb] My fiance has been telling me he is going to make me a cold frame out of old windows...Maybe if I'm reallllly good [angel] he will make me one of those instead.I have friends who put in windows,
and they have asked me if I wanted any..I will have to take 'em up on that. COODOO'S to you my friend. [clappy]

" Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediorce minds"
~ Albert Einstein ~
by Triss on April 25, 2006 06:05 AM
I love all those pics. What an amazing job you both did with other peoples junk to make a back yard paradise! Thanks for sharing!!!

-
 -
by comfrey on April 25, 2006 03:49 PM
elco...Do you use any heat in your green house early in the season or use it when it starts warming up? Also what kind of floor does it have? I've been collecting disguarded storm windows for something simular...I have quite a few, but not enough yet. Great looking greenhouse and surroundings!!!!! [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -
by eclo on April 25, 2006 04:03 PM
Hiyas Comfrey..... got a gravel floor, just plain ol' limestone gravel, about six inches deep at the shallowest point..wanted plenty of room for loose dirt from watering and such to settle into...and YES... I do heat it... but only from about early October to late March or in the case of this year.... early April [Smile]

See Ya in the Garden!
by comfrey on April 25, 2006 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info eclo...What type of heat source do you use?

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 25, 2006 04:30 PM
Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by eclo on April 26, 2006 02:57 AM
The small electric heater in this photo is the only heat source we use in the winter. As you can see in some of the other photos, we also put a layer of foam insulation board on the roof and cover it with a tarp as well as some foam board mainly on the north wall inside just to cut down on winter drafts. [Smile] The temperature in the greenhouse stays between 60 and 70 pretty much all winter! During real cold snaps it might dip as low as 50 degrees. Several years ago we had a terrible ice storm and were without power for seven days. I actually moved the barbecue grill in there and kept charcoal burnin like a smudge pot and managed to keep everything alive until power was restored. It took forever to clean all the residue from the smoke off the windows. [dunno] There are some more pictures of the inside and plants in the 'cacti and succulent' forum under "cactus in winter"

See Ya in the Garden!
by comfrey on April 26, 2006 05:16 AM
Oh your cactus are wonderful, You have done a great job!

-
 -
by Rebecca150 on April 26, 2006 01:41 PM
Oh I love it I love it I Love It! How did you construct it and join the windows together?
by eclo on April 26, 2006 09:34 PM
Get this... I spent days actually measuring all the windows and I even built a cardboard model of it before I built the real thing... then, I just used 1" X 4"s lapped over to join the panels together! Since then, I have gone back on the inside and reinforced it because over the last 5 years or so the ground under it has kinda started to settle even tho I poured a foundation for it ... [Eek!] bummin me out but I'm dealin with it...

See Ya in the Garden!
by Triss on April 28, 2006 05:37 AM
That just sounds way to simple on the put together. I would have though there would be a lot more holding it all together.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 28, 2006 03:07 PM
I noticed there is a (vent type) window above the door...are there any other vents or windows that open for ventilation?

-
 -
by eclo on May 02, 2006 09:17 AM
Yes Comfrey... there are a couple of vents a bit smaller than the one you mention in the opposite wall down about three foot off the ground so it gets really good airflow. We also put a small fan in there when the weather gets real hot to keep the air moving. I wanted to put a thermostatically control hinge on the front vent but alas... uhumm, they are expensive... [Razz] and I am not! [lala]

See Ya in the Garden!
by weezie13 on May 02, 2006 02:26 PM
I have been thinking of you and your project here..

I was driving around the other day, and it was garbage day and some folks had some windows out..
I wanted to grab them sooooo bad...
*but I didn't have any way of getting them home,
and they were gone believe it or not, the next day.*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Triss on May 02, 2006 05:13 PM
Too bad you missed out on that Weezie. Did you find anything good?

-
 -
by taylo on May 04, 2006 12:33 AM
I have been looking at options out there for greenhouses and fell in love with your wonderful idea of using windows. That is about the coolest idea I have seen. Am going to start my collection immediately. What else have you recycled?

-
by eclo on May 04, 2006 05:48 AM
Almost everything in my yard is recycled in one way or another... check out this old handrail off of a porch! I turned it up on edge and made a really nice trellis for my grapevine. I also found an old wrought iron door that has done really well as a trellis for our Mandevilla flowering vine. The window directly behind this trellis is the window in our shower so it helps to make my wife more comfortable when showering. I will have to take some more pictures of some of the other stuff I have "aquired" for the garden! [thumb] I'll take a little better picture of the way I have these two trellis's mounted into the ground also. I am so glad to know that my greenhouse is inspiring to others and if you have any questions about how to assemble them... dont hesitate to ask!

See Ya in the Garden!
by Triss on May 04, 2006 06:42 AM
I would have never thought to mount a handrail sideways and use it as a trellis. That has got to be one of the more clever things I have seen! I can see in my minds eye several of them lined up along a blank wall and filled with several different kinds of flowering vines!

-
 -
by taylo on May 04, 2006 01:12 PM
Eclo...I meant to ask...how much sun will a greenhouse need to be in? Here in Ms. our summers are hot and then some. It looked like yours was in some shade. Will I need to have some kind of shade thingy to block out noon sun?

-
by taylo on May 04, 2006 01:21 PM
Eclo...oh my gosh, I have all most that same rail. Have been dragging it all over the yard trying to do something with it. You are just full of ideas. Can't wait until this weekend to try standing it on end. Also have a window iron grill, door size, I have been saving and another one with glass I am going to use in MY greenhouse. [ I have really big plans]lol. Thanks for the motivation. By the way, neat rope trick.

-
by eclo on May 06, 2006 03:50 AM
Taylo.....

Yes my greenhouse does have some shade in the summer months. I took into account the low southerly path of the sun in the winter and placed my greenhouse in a position to take advantage of that. It faces South so in the winter it gets full sun all day. Helps with the heating bill. In the summer I keep very little in the greenhouse if anything so if it heats up to much it really isnt a big deal. Hope this helps! [Wink]

See Ya in the Garden!
by Jessie on June 05, 2006 02:48 PM
Your greenhouse is georgeous! I love what you have done with everything! Looking foreward to seeing more pictures. Beautiful job!

Jessie

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Homemade Croutons| Next thread: Homemade GreenHouse/Hotbox »
Back to Thread index