The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Biscuits

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Birthday Cake Recipes| Next thread: bish beans »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on October 25, 2005 01:17 AM
Hello everyone and hope you are all doing good today? It is raining and cloudy and 37 degress outside! Brrrr!!! Since fall and winter it is pretty cold outside thought I would cook more and so need a recipe for home bake biscuits!! Good cooks got to have a recipe for that?Rita
by ladystressout on October 26, 2005 12:10 AM
Hello again and was just thinking I want old fashion kind of biscuits? You know the kind you can fix before going to church then get back home and put in the oven?using shortening or lard,buttermilk and so on?Rita
by comfrey on October 26, 2005 02:54 AM
I always just make the old baking powder type biscuits, that are found in most cook books, I have found they are easy and always turn out good. If you don't have the recipe or no one else responds I'll look through my recipes, as I know I have a couple of other different ones.

-
 -
by ladystressout on October 26, 2005 04:44 AM
Alright thank you comfrey very much for going through all of that trouble for little old me! I knew I was special and you prove it! ha,ha,ha.
by comfrey on October 26, 2005 08:31 AM
Angel Biscuits

1 cup buttermilk
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 pkg dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
5 T shortening
2 T sugar
2 T butter or margarine (melted)

Heat buttermilk in a small pan until bubbles form around edge, careful not to overheat as buttermilk will curdle. Cool to lukewarm. While milk is cooling, sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl. Add sugar to yeast mixture. Stir in lukewarm buttermilk. Into a large bowl sift flour with baking powder and salt. Cut shortening into flour mix, until like coarse cornmeal. Make a well in the flour mix & pour in buttermilk/yeast mixture all at once. Stir with wooden spoon to mix well. Dough will be stiff. Knead as for bread until smooth. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with floured 2" cutter (or a glass will work). Place 1" apart on greased cookie sheet. Cover with towel & let rise in warm place until double. Brush tops with butter. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

-
 -
by comfrey on October 26, 2005 08:39 AM
This is the recipe I use for Biscuits, its easy and always turns out good. The recipe can be doubled to make more, and stored in a plastic bag they keep well.

Biscuits

2 cups flour
3 T baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
2-4 T shortening

Sift dry ingredients, cut in shortening and add milk..Then roll out and cut out your biscuits, place on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes. Makes about 8 regular sized biscuits.

-
 -
by ladystressout on October 27, 2005 01:45 AM
Hello and comfrey that sounds easy and good! All the recipes going to try to see which one my hubby likes the best,so girls,guys,keep them coming in!
by WyoMom on October 27, 2005 05:48 AM
Okay here are the biscuit recipes I use:

Betty Crocker's
1/4 c. shortening
2 c. flour
1 T. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk

Heat oven to 450 F. Cut shortening into flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; until fine crumbs form. Stir in just enough milk so dough leaves side of bowl and rounds up into a ball. Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Mom's Red Lobster Biscuits

Combine:
2 c. Bisquick
1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. minced onion
Stir in:
2/3 c. milk
Stir 30 seconds more. Drop batter on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 400 F 10-12 minutes. Drizzle with seasoned butter (1/4 c. butter, melted and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder). Serve warm.
by comfrey on October 27, 2005 06:59 AM
Well the Mom's Red Lobster Biscuits sound very interesting, I'll keep this recipe to try sometime. And now that the weather is getting colder, I will probable turn the oven on and make a few things, [scaredy] since I'll probable be board..sigh I would take digging in the dirt before cooking and baking, But since I won't be able to dig in the dirt, I guess baking, eating and puttin on that winter fat will have to do. [Wink]

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on October 30, 2005 02:33 PM
I use sour cream instead of milk in my biscuits...it makes them a bit more moist and yummy!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Birthday Cake Recipes| Next thread: bish beans »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: