The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is all mulch good? (doesnt decompose?)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Is all hope lost now?| Next thread: Is Fertilizer Necessary? »
Back to Thread index
by daylily77 on August 03, 2006 08:16 PM
I was just looking at some different brands of Mulch online and I saw one that advertised "Does not decompose". I thought that we WANT our Mulch to decompose to improve the soil, right? I'm hoping that The Mulch I put in this spring isn't the type that doesn't decompose! Isn't that what we want eventually? Or am I assuming wrong?
by johnCT on August 04, 2006 01:28 AM
You're absolutely right! That stuff and things like rocks will help to hold in moisture but thats about the extent of their benefits.

John - Zone 6
by daylily77 on August 04, 2006 10:24 AM
Does anyone know how to tell if mine is the type that doesn't decompose or not? I sure hope it does! Especially considering that it's mixed into my soil in a lot of spots! I don't remember which brand it was. [dunno] (My mom was the one who picked it out and brought it over, but I doubt she paid attention to that.)
by Longy on August 04, 2006 12:24 PM
What is it made out of? Wood, shredded or chipped stuff? Rocks or pebbles. If it's vegetative matter it'll break down. If it's rocks or gravel it won't break down.

-
The secret is the soil.
by daylily77 on August 04, 2006 03:09 PM
Oh ok! Mine is wood. What worried me was this:

http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.ihtml?pid=194087&step=5&prodstoreid=2531#

I didn't realize it was rubber the first time I saw it! Since it said something about wood in the name I was thinking maybe they added something to it so it didn't decompose or something. Phew I'm relieved!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Is all hope lost now?| Next thread: Is Fertilizer Necessary? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: