The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Barnyard Tea

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Barnyard Tea| Next thread: Barrel Cacti »
Back to Thread index
by Ronda on May 24, 2006 12:46 PM
hi! Does anyone know where you can buy this? The only place I could find was, Lee Valley Tools, and they do not ship to the US.

Has anyone ever used it? [Cool]

Thank You! [Embarrassed]

Ronda
by JV on May 24, 2006 11:56 PM
Ronda could that be same as compost tea? If so can send you a link to it.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Ronda on May 25, 2006 12:29 AM
Well, I am not really sure. I would think so. This is a link to purchase the Barnyard Tea
http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=2&p=10363&cat=4,104,45461&ap=3
but they do not ship to the US. I have a flower Tonic recipe I got from www.jerrybaker.com

The Tonic sounded interesting, but I could not find the Tea. [dunno]

The link I gave you for the Barnyard Tea explains what is in the tea bags. Maybe the compost tea is similar. If you could send me that link it would be great. [clappy]

Thanks, Ronda

Ronda
by JV on May 25, 2006 12:50 AM
Have it on my computer at home when I get home will look it up and post it for you. I am at work right now.

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by JV on May 25, 2006 09:52 PM
Ronda I am sorry sent this to Terry instead of you. But here is compost tea recipe.
Compost tea
Manure compost tea is effective on many pests because of certain microorganisms that exist in it naturally. Here's how to make compost tea at home. Use any container but a plastic bucket is easy for the homeowner. Fill the 5-15 gallon bucket half full of compost and finish filling with water. Let the mix sit for 10-14 days and then dilute and spray on the foliage of any and all plants including fruit trees, perennials, annuals, vegetables and roses, and other plants, especially those that are regularly attacked by insects or fungal pests. It's very effective for example on black spot on roses and early blight on tomatoes. How to dilute the dark compost tea before using depends on the compost used. A rule of thumb is to dilute the leachate down to one part compost liquid to four to ten parts water. It should look like iced tea. Be sure to strain the solids out with old pantyhose, cheese cloth, or row cover material. Add two tablespoons of molasses to each gallon of spray for more power. Add citrus oil for even greater pest killing power.

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Ronda on May 25, 2006 11:15 PM
Jimmy,
Thank You! I am beginner and a BLACK thumb! I moved into our home in 2002 and I thought it was time to plant some flowers and bushes. I just have the worst luck w/ plants, so I will try anything to help me grow and maintain my flowers.

I was looking at your photo bucket. Your pictures are wonderful and your flowers are beautiful!
I noticed you have beautiful roses. I was hoping you could answer a question for me or give me any advice on growing roses.

I bought and cleaned up 2 old wooden whisky barrels. I have planted miniature roses in both (about 7 in each container). Some of the leaves are turning yellow [dunno] Why and what should I do, if anything.

Also, I know it is sort of late in the season, but I am always late at everything [Embarrassed] I am getting ready to plant some hardy hibiscus plants. Any Advice?

Thank Again! [clappy]

Have a good day!
Ronda

Ronda
by JV on May 26, 2006 12:31 AM
I have some Roses in 5 gallon buckets to see how they do so far so good. You didn't say what kind of soil you have in the barrels but sound to me like you may have too many in there. Need to know what you have done ie fertilizer's watering etc. Will send you some info I have on Hibiscus probably in a PM when I get home. I am at work right now don't have it here. One thing you can do is search out hardy hibiscus here there is a lot of info on them. Go to top of page and type in subject make sure it searches gardenhelper.com.

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Barnyard Tea| Next thread: Barrel Cacti »
Back to Thread index