The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

making a sifter...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by pagarden on May 18, 2006 03:30 PM
so do ya'll have homemade ones or what? i saw on here someone found a deep fryer basket. where would i find one like that and does it work good? i have left over mesh from the bin i could use to somehow make one. i think the openings are 1/4 inch. is that too big? gimme some ideas...
by Longy on May 18, 2006 04:49 PM
I have an old childs bed base, (the bed base is old, not the child) with the interwoven wire on a timber frame. It's about 4' by 2'. My dad used a double bed base years ago to sift sand for concrete.
You could use a string bag if you had to.
A bucket with a few hundred holes drilled in its base.
A truck aircleaner body.
A motorised shredder works great for breaking up compost. A bit expensive though.
Fine (1/2") birdwire would work. Double it up if the holes are too big.
1/4 inch mesh sounds OK. Just make it work:-)

-
The secret is the soil.
by patches1414 on May 18, 2006 09:28 PM
I had an old fryer basket around here that I use that to sift my vermiculture. You can also pick them up many times at yard sales. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tkhooper on May 19, 2006 12:49 AM
I took an old window screen and a screw driver for poking holes and then wire cutters for increasing the size of the holes. For the little bit I do it's great. Although if you have a large amount of compost my little screen would take forever lol.

-
 -
by johnCT on May 19, 2006 01:41 AM
I made mine with one 8 foot 2x3 and 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Fits on top of my wheelbarrow.

John - Zone 6
by Bill on May 19, 2006 02:02 AM
My sifter

-
by pagarden on May 19, 2006 05:32 AM
wow- that's some sifter. looks great- i like the fact you can push the wheelbaroow right up under there too. a bit big for me i think though but an awesome idea- maybe i could use it to come up with a smaller version. i'll have to think on it. if i get a whellbaroow i could custom fit some sort of sifter to the top and then as i shovel the compost on top of the baroow it would be good right? hmm...... the gears are spinning.....
by johnCT on May 20, 2006 02:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pagarden:
if i get a whellbaroow i could custom fit some sort of sifter to the top and then as i shovel the compost on top of the baroow it would be good right? hmm...... the gears are spinning.....
That's how I use mine PA. A couple shovel-fulls and a few shakes of the sifter and viola!

John - Zone 6
by pagarden on May 20, 2006 04:15 AM
hehe- i told my husband my idea last night and he just gave me a priceless look! LOL he still thinks of it as my "garbage pile" i think maybe after my first load he'll see what i'm talking about and understand a bit better. until then- i laugh at the faces he gives me!
by weezie13 on May 20, 2006 11:01 AM
When I ask my husband to do things,
he pretends to be tired, then when I keep talkin',
he slumps' lower.. and if I keep talkin', he flops his hands on the floor like he's dyin' or something, he is sooooooooo funny..
I laugh so hard when he's doing it, you really
have to see it.. it's like I'm suckin' the life outta him..

hmmmmmm, wonder if he's if he's up'ed his insurance.. [dunno] [devil] [grin]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: