The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

1st compost heap

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: 1st attempt at veggie garden| Next thread: 1st fruit spraying »
Back to Thread index
by rubberbandman on May 15, 2006 03:28 PM
I just started my first compost heap today. I dont have pictures because by the time I finnished it it was dark. I'm using a metal bin about 1foot tall and about 2feet-3feet wide. To start it out I filled it with a bunch of dead leaves, small twigs, some already decomposing stuff I found on the ground, and a bunch of freshly picked stuff, and I emptied my paper shredder into it, and lastly I put about a half gallon of water into it. Anyway I just wanted to tell everyone about it because I'm so excited about it. I can't wait to have nice rich soil to plant in.

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by patches1414 on May 15, 2006 06:04 PM
Hi rubberbandman! [wavey]

It sounds good and I know you're excited about it because I remember how excited I was when I first started my bins about five years ago. [Wink] There's some valuable information about composting on this site that I think you would enjoy reading. Check it out! [muggs]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on May 16, 2006 12:40 AM
Welcome to the club. You'll soon find out that no matter how much you have, it's never enough!

John - Zone 6
by rubberbandman on May 16, 2006 04:40 AM
Yeah its gonna be fun. I hope to either buy or find some worms to put in it to speed up the process. I just hope my dog stays out of it, thankfully she's an indoor dog although she's almost too big for the house (she's 118 pounds). Anyway I'm sure I'll have fun, and it will be better than just throwing all my food scraps and stuff away.

-
by tkhooper on May 19, 2006 02:12 AM
Good luck with your first composting bin. I love composting. I have a trash can that I use and I also have a pile. Of course one of these days I'm going to have to break down and buy a metal rake to help me with the pile. It gets big and can be a pain to get to the bottom of. And I have to do that soon.

-
 -
by rubberbandman on May 19, 2006 04:24 AM
Yeah mines just a small one and I use 2 stick that I found to turn the pile.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: 1st attempt at veggie garden| Next thread: 1st fruit spraying »
Back to Thread index