The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pests in compost pile?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: pests in canna| Next thread: pests in the soil »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on March 19, 2006 06:09 AM
has anyone had a problem with rodents and other pests in their compost piles? i told my hubby my plans and he freaked! LOL "Oh no, your going to attract every snake, mole, mouse and rat!" i'm thinking if i take care of it by turning and making sure there's not too much of this or that it shouldn't smell and that the pests will not be a problem. anyone ever had a problem???
by Longy on March 19, 2006 09:05 AM
You'll get a problem if you don't get the compost hot. If it's hot, only bacteria will live in it. Once it has decomposed and cooled, there will be no food for rodents etc. Also, don't let it dry out. It should have the moisture content of a squeezed sponge. Other than that, just follow the basics for composting and make a minimum cubic yard in volume to generate the heat.

-
The secret is the soil.
by porter57 on March 21, 2006 08:58 AM
i had a nieghbor once who had a bin and she put all kinds of sticks and loose stuff in it and she had snakes in it. im thinking if you crush and pulverize everything and keep it hot youll be ok. but this is my first year trying it.
im just doing a pile with shredded leaves and kitchen waste. probably gonna be another year before i can harvest the compost but i got plenty of time. i shred the leaves with the lawnmower with bag attached and try to chop the kitchen waste before i put it in the bucket.
i hope it all works out
by weezie13 on March 21, 2006 09:09 AM
I've been composting for years,
and to my knowledge I've never had snakes in them.

I did one year get a mouse or something...
but as much as I despise mice/rodents,
I believe as long as they are a veggie eating thing, you shouldn't have a problem with the poop.

As far as I understand, if you keep the pile churning, and composting, you shouldn't have a problem.... it's when you leave the fluffy stuff sit for an indefinate amount of time, the rodent likes the nice fluffy easy to move and dig thru material and sets up home.. if you keep it moving and turn the pile, I don't think they're too much of a problem...

Also, keep the stuff you put in fresh, covered and stirred too...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on March 21, 2006 10:31 AM
That's a natural reaction from a person who knows nothing about composting. The smell, the pests....its just not true.

John - Zone 6
by Amigatec on March 21, 2006 10:33 AM
My pile year was mostly grass and woodchips, there was nothing for vermin to eat.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by pagarden on March 21, 2006 08:29 PM
thanks guys! i told him about all your responses and he seemed a little relieved. not 100%, of course, and i know he'll be a little worried until he actually sees me taking care of it, but he did seems a little more relaxed about the idea. thanks! [Smile]
by johnCT on March 21, 2006 08:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pagarden:
not 100%, of course, and i know he'll be a little worried until he actually sees me taking care of it, but he did seems a little more relaxed about the idea. thanks! [Smile]
He'll understand soon enough. Is he a gardener?

John - Zone 6
by Buglady on March 22, 2006 01:09 AM
i use a compost tumbler... works great and you don't have to worry about critters getting into it.

I also took a whole semester in college on composting, never had a problem with big critters in the piles but then again i was working on studying the macro insects that lived in the pile.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by comfrey on March 22, 2006 12:14 PM
I don't take care of my compost pile like I should, and critters can get into it, But have never found anything while digging around in it or even seen evidence of any critter being in there, but everything I put into it is torn up or broke up into small pieces. And mine doesn't put off an offensive ordor even though it is not taken care right or turned often enough.

-
 -
by pagarden on March 22, 2006 09:09 PM
john- nope. not even slightly. he knows it's my thing though and doesn't really bother me too much about it. he does think i get "into it way too much" though- whatever that's supposed to mean. he's not opposed to my gardening at all, he lets me do what i want, he just doesn't understand how it makes me feel. like when i get excited about something growing he looks at me like i've totally lost it! [Big Grin] and maybe i have, but i sure won't let him know that! LOL
by weezie13 on March 22, 2006 11:48 PM
Gardening has a way of doing that,
to allllllll gardeners...

Mines' not crazy [Roll Eyes] about mine either,
but he knows it's the lesser of two evils [Wink] [devil] ...
if you know what I mean [thumb] ...

But he says, at least he knows where I am.....
And he can't complain...not one bit....

anyhow, keep workin' that compost pile..

*Hey, what is his favoritest veggie??*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Amigatec on March 23, 2006 12:40 AM
My wife doesn't say anything about mine, it gets me out of the house and out of her way!!

-
 -
by peppereater on March 23, 2006 03:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Buglady:
i use a compost tumbler... works great and you don't have to worry about critters getting into it.

Buglady...I bought an Urban Comost Tumbler late last summer, and have yet to get good results, but I haven't gotten to use it through a summer yet...which type do you have?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by pagarden on March 24, 2006 09:55 AM
*Hey, what is his favoritest veggie??*

corn. and i'm trying a new one this year from burpee---

Corn Maple Sugar Sweet Hybrid
Sweet maple candy flavor with sugar levels beyond belief!
NEW Burpee Exclusive.
We knew from the first bite that we had a winner. This utterly unique yellow hybrid had us at "hello". It boasts sugar levels truly beyond belief, while retaining the full texture and creaminess of older types. We like it grilled to bring out the most of its maple candy flavor. Petite 6-8" ears fit neatly on your plate. The size also allows for great husk protection, so each ear is a perfect specimen of kernels packed to the very tip. Isolate from other corns and plant seeds 8" apart after soil has completely warmed. You'll love it.

i don't think i got past the first 3 words "corn maple sugar" before i knew i was ordering it! LOL i can't wait to taste it. my first northern garden (summer 04) i grew corn (it's too hot in s fl) and instantly fell in love! i've never in my life ever had such fresh awesome sweet corn! i nibbled on the kernals raw! from that first summer i knew corn was going to be an every year thing like tomatoes in my garden! hey and i get double use- i use the stalks for decorations throughout fall! LOL and this year i can throw them in the compost after that! yippee! so what's that- like triple useage! [Big Grin]
by weezie13 on March 24, 2006 11:04 AM
You sound just like me...
With the 3 way on the corn...

I love growing corn,
the first year I grew it, it didn't pollenate right, got one kernal here and one kernel there...
the next year it came out great...
and I loved it..
This year was so tasty, I don't know what variety
I bought, but was darn good, fresh picked, right outside my back door...Yummmmmmmy!!!

But I love using it at Halloween/Fall time,
just sets the mood right..

And love choppin' it up and throwing it in the bin..
I really like using the larger canes at the bottom when you're looking for aeration into the bottom of the pile.. the big hollow stalks are great for that...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Amigatec on March 24, 2006 08:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pagarden:

Corn Maple Sugar Sweet Hybrid
Sweet maple candy flavor with sugar levels beyond belief!
NEW Burpee Exclusive.
We knew from the first bite that we had a winner. This utterly unique yellow hybrid had us at "hello". It boasts sugar levels truly beyond belief, while retaining the full texture and creaminess of older types. We like it grilled to bring out the most of its maple candy flavor. Petite 6-8" ears fit neatly on your plate. The size also allows for great husk protection, so each ear is a perfect specimen of kernels packed to the very tip. Isolate from other corns and plant seeds 8" apart after soil has completely warmed. You'll love it.
[Big Grin]

You're starting to sound like a corn saleman. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [tongue] [tongue]

-
 -
by pagarden on March 24, 2006 08:36 PM
"You're starting to sound like a corn saleman."

nah- i copied that from the burpee website! LOL [Big Grin]
by Amigatec on March 24, 2006 09:57 PM
I prefer Bodacious corn myself.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pests in canna| Next thread: pests in the soil »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: