The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chives

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Chives| Next thread: chives »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on October 19, 2006 10:20 PM
Well the chives that I brought indoors awhile back have been growing like weeds so today they got a haircut. I'm hoping that I gave them enough time to adjust to being indoors in a pot. I've got my fingers crossed.

-
 -
by joclyn on October 20, 2006 12:30 AM
it should be okay inside...you could have left it outside in the ground tho...mine come back every year.
by Deborah L. on October 20, 2006 06:50 AM
TK, ya put 'em over a good baked potato, I hope? [Wink]

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 21, 2006 06:22 AM
You betcha, They are the perfect potato topper. And then I dried the rest for future potatoes. I gave them a big hair cut. I probably should have done it a week before I brought them in but I didn't think about it.

I brought them in so whoever was damaging the garden plants wouldn't get them too. I left some smaller clumps out there because I didn't have enough space for everything inside. But I like them well enough that I wanted to keep one clump growing throughout the winter.

-
 -
by Vera_M on November 09, 2006 09:17 AM
Speaking of bringing in chives.

I don't anymore and just leave them outside for lack of space. Anyways this is what I used to do. I'd dig a small clump up and pot it and then leave it to go dormant outside. After about 3 weeks of freezing cold weather I'd bring the pot indoors. Everything should have died back. Once put in a sunny window it will grow gusto as if it's had a winter's knap. Pretty much tricked it into thinking it was spring [flower]

Vera
by Deborah L. on November 09, 2006 09:22 AM
That's a good idea, Vera ! Smart !
TK-I love chives over a baked potato too, and on scrambled eggs. And on cottage cheese with sliced tomatoes.

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 09, 2006 10:08 PM
That is a great idea. And it probably explains why my chives are going crazy. Deborah, now you have me hankering for some scrambled eggs with chives yummmmmmmmmmmy. Since I'm already simmering Navy Bean Soup on the stove and raising bread on the counter space is limited in the kitchen; but, I'm sure I can find room to scramble up some eggs lol. I'm drooling already lol.

-
 -
by melcon6 on November 09, 2006 10:10 PM
Cheddar cheese and chive biscuits are great too!
[thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Dixie Angel on November 09, 2006 10:26 PM
Tammy, how do you dry chives?

I have some outside still and have never used them. I keep forgetting that I have them...

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 09, 2006 10:47 PM
Well I use kitchen shears and cut them into small lengths. Then make a thin layer of them on a paper towel and put them in the microwave for one minute. If they are crumbly dry when they come out they are ready to put into bottles. If not I zap them for 1 more minute. I have a very low wattage microwave.

I know what you mean about forgetting to use them. When they are outside I usually forget about them except when they need a haircut lol.

But when they are inside I use them constantly. I love chives.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on November 09, 2006 11:10 PM
Thank you, Tammy! I will try that and see if I can remember to use them the next time I have baked potatoes....

Dianna

-
 -
by chenno on November 09, 2006 11:49 PM
Love chives, I bring mine in after the freeze too,and then they are fine, I do dehydrate them as well for spices and in foods:-) garlic chives are my fav:-)

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by tkhooper on November 10, 2006 02:23 AM
My garlic chives just don't have a garlicy flavor to me. But I do like them.

-
 -
by chenno on November 10, 2006 07:21 AM
I wonder why? mine are real strong..Will have to make a note and send you some come spring!:-) if you like.just remind me;-)

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Deborah L. on November 10, 2006 08:51 AM
TK-navy bean soup??? I ADORE navy beans-care to post the recipe?
You bake bread??????
I have a new bread machine but I'm not crazy about it.
I don't feel like I'm really baking homemade bread and there's no wonderful fragrance filling the air either !

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 10, 2006 08:42 PM
I think the recipe is probably down in the recipe section. You may have to look in archives or google for it.

Re- the bread machine. I so know what you mean. Now what I do is activate my yeast. Then throw it in the machine on the dough setting. That way I shape and bake it myself and get the wonderful smell back.

So I use it more like a mixer than a bread machine.

Of course it only works when I want one loaf lol.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Chives| Next thread: chives »
Back to Thread index