The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is this a herb??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ladybug67 on May 13, 2006 04:04 PM
I'm looking to find out what this is its in a seed form and the name is Amaranth any help Thanks

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by Gregnlaurar1 on May 14, 2006 11:14 AM
hi there, i was curious so i googled it for you, I hope this helps

Amaranth is a tall plant with very broad leaves; it produces many thousands of tiny seeds. The leaves and the seeds are edible. The amaranth is closely related to pigweed, spinach, beets, and other plants in the goosefoot family, Chenopodiaceae. Although the amaranth is sometimes classified in the goosefoot family, it is most commonly classified in its own family, Amaranthaceae. The point of all this is that persons who tolerate spinach and beets well may do very well on the highly nutritious seeds, leaves, and flour of the amaranth. Special Foods™ amaranth flour is made from organic amaranth seeds. Amaranth flour has a pleasant, nutty taste. It makes good tasting bread, muffins, bagels, pasta, milk, imitation nut butter ,cookies, gravies, sauces, pancakes, flatbreads, doughnuts, dumplings, and who knows what else. (Recipes are supplied with the flours). ALL recipes are made without wheat or other grains, without yeast, and without milk, eggs, or sugar.
by ladybug67 on May 15, 2006 07:34 AM
Thanks so much!!! Dee

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by joclyn on May 15, 2006 06:24 PM
greg, thanks for posting that info!!! i recently found out that i'm allergic to wheat, so this might be an alternative for me!!

i'm not a big bread or pasta eater to begin with, still, i do like it on occassion...

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: