The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what do I do?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: What do I do?| Next thread: What do I do now? »
Back to Thread index
by rubberbandman on April 29, 2006 06:09 PM
My chives and spearmint won't support themselves, there all droopy. What should I do? They seem to be thriving but there all droopy. the spearmint seems to be growing like a vine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by tkhooper on April 30, 2006 01:26 AM
The chives you can cut down and use the green stems. Just leave a couple of inches of leaves for the plant to use. Then it will stand up straight. That's what I use for a harvesting meter. I love my chives.

Mints will develop roots and dig back into the soil so let them creep around. At least the ones I've grown from seed will. The ones from cuttings I've never done and they appear quite different.

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 30, 2006 01:52 AM
I find it best to leave them alone.
When i harvest chives, I cut the stem right to the ground. I find if I leave any it turns brown and dies. The drooping is their natural growth habit.
mints, is it so droopy its not standing at all? Mine gets to maybe 8" tall and then leans over on the plants near it.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by rubberbandman on April 30, 2006 07:10 AM
well these plants are just month old sprouts. the chives stands up about an inch and the rest droops over. the mint doesn't stand at all, it just lays off to the side and towards the top of the plant it curves up.

-
by ChristinaC on April 30, 2006 09:34 AM
Do you have adequate lighting on them? A lot of people complain about their flowers, vegetables and herbs being too "leggy"...falling over...u have to have the right amount of light on them...right on top of them!
I'm assuming yo have them in your house??

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 30, 2006 11:48 AM
Nothin' better on baked potatoes than freshly snipped chives ! [thumb]

-
 -
by rubberbandman on April 30, 2006 01:49 PM
yeah I have them inside. The lighting they get is from the sun coming in my windowsill.

-
by ChristinaC on April 30, 2006 02:08 PM
I'm guessing that's what the problem is. They're falling over because they're trying to stretch for the light, making them "leggy" and weak. I grow mine under fluorescent lights until it's warm enough to have them outside.
You can always transplant them much deeper into another pot....deep enough where they're not falling over. If they're still green...they're still alive...don't give up! Do you have a fluorescent light? Do you plan on putting them outside? What's the temps like there in Kansas? I've already planted my chives outside, they seem to be doing fine even though our night time temps are still getting low. I still have my mint in the house...under the fluorescents.

-
 -
by rubberbandman on May 02, 2006 04:25 PM
I don't have a fluorescentlight, I don't plan on putting them outside, the temps range anywhere from 40 to 90 degrees.

-
by ChristinaC on May 03, 2006 01:04 PM
My suggestion would be to put them in new pots and plant them good and deep. What window do u have them in? South and East windows are best to choose from. I have thyme growing in my East window right now and it seems to be doing fine. Anyway of posting a pic?

-
 -
by rubberbandman on May 03, 2006 04:14 PM
the pics arent very good but here they are

-

-

-

-

-
by rubberbandman on May 03, 2006 04:15 PM
dang didnt do a very good job of resizing. I can never figure that out.

-
by rubberbandman on May 03, 2006 04:18 PM
how bout this.

-

-

-

-

-
by rubberbandman on May 03, 2006 04:19 PM
how did that happen?

-
by ChristinaC on May 04, 2006 02:43 AM
It's hard to see the pics but I think they look dry. I've used those jiffy pellets and I'm not crazy about them for that reason. When I water the pellets, I fill the tray they're sitting in and let them absorb the water rather than watering from the top.
But anyways...it's time to get them out of those pellets. You need to transplant them into bigger pots into good potting soil. Plant them good and deep. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Christina

-
 -
by rubberbandman on May 04, 2006 03:49 AM
ok. thats the same way i water mine too.

-
by rubberbandman on May 06, 2006 09:20 AM
I now have all my chives and mint transplanted in bigger pots sitting in my western facing window sill. And I have 4 mint plants outside in a big pot. I hope they grow.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: What do I do?| Next thread: What do I do now? »
Back to Thread index