The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

canning -using lemon juice instead of vinegar.

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: canning| Next thread: CANNING AND PRESERVING FOOD »
Back to Thread index
by louiseey on September 21, 2005 11:23 AM
Does anyone know of a way to make relish or pickles using lemon juice instead of vinegar?My husband cannot have vinegar in his diet.Please help me!!
by Lucy Lou on September 21, 2005 01:28 PM
You would use the same amount of bottled lemon juice in relish recipes. Same for salsa. Be sure to use bottled lemon or lime juice since it has to meet a certain standard to be sold. Fresh lemons and limes vary in acidity and may not be acidic enough to preserve your food.
I have no idea how the flavor would compare, but it is not a safety issue. Bottled lemon juice is actually twice as acidic as 5 % vinegar, but the taste is more mild. I use bottled lemon juice in salsa recipes and it is good.
Perhaps just try a half batch of a relish or a jar or two of a quick pack pickle recipe and see how they taste.
Use a current recipe as many of the old recipes are not safe because years ago vinegar could be as much as 40 % acidity. You will need at least half bottled lemon juice to water ratio for a pickle brine.
If you try it, let me know how the taste is. I looked for a recipe for you but could not find one.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: canning| Next thread: CANNING AND PRESERVING FOOD »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: