The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Herb Jar

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Herb in box| Next thread: herbal challenge »
Back to Thread index
by Deborah L. on March 19, 2006 09:41 AM
Today I bought a strawberry jar pre-planted with herbs. I was so happy to see my favorite sweet marjoram included.
I was careful not to get one with mint, as I think mint would overtake everything else.
Has anyone had an herb jar last very long, and if so, how long?
I don't mean weather, I'm in California, but I wonder how long the herbs can live comfortably in the jar.
I love herbs and couldn't resist this pot, even though I have other herbs in their own containers.
Comfrey, I enjoy your posts about herbs and I LOVE your name !
I used to eat comfrey, and miss it, but I know it isn't being sold anymore. How I'd love to grow it again !
I've been growing herbs for about 30 years now.
Since I was, uh, 10 or 11...... : )

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 19, 2006 10:12 AM
I hated that strawberry pot and got rid of it as soon as I could transplant the herbs. It was forever leaking out of the lower openings all over everything. And getting the plants out uninjured didn't work all the well either.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 19, 2006 10:56 AM
Yes, they have their negatives, I know. But it's so pretty I couldn't resist.
In the past, preferring to keep the plants and sacrifice the pot, I tapped the pot's sides with a hammer to break it, and cut the plants out safely. They all lived-herbs are tough.
And the pot provided me with shards for covering drainage holes.

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 19, 2006 08:48 PM
You can get broken ceramics at your local Lowe's or Home Depot or pretty much any where they sell or install tile. They usually have a bin of broken stuff in the back.

-
 -
by papito on March 20, 2006 12:32 AM
quote:
I hated that strawberry pot and got rid of it as soon as I could transplant the herbs. It was forever leaking out of the lower openings all over everything.
When I plant herbs in strawberry pot or herb jar, I usually put [in the center of the pot or jar] a piece of perforated pvc pipe. The length depends on the height of the pot or jar and cut the pipe about 3 inches above the rim[the protruding pipe will eventually be hidden by herb planted on the top, so ther is no eyesore]. I also run shoelaces thru the pipe to act as water wicks. The wicks goes to the side pockets of the pot or jar. When watering, I pour the water slowly thru the pipe, so there is less chance of soil running out with excess water through the side pockets.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by comfrey on March 20, 2006 09:44 AM
I have grown herbs in a strawberry jar before...But I live in a colder part of the county then you do Deborah. What herbs do you have growing in it, each herb you probable with have to do something different with it..like some may need to be thinned out...some might need just to be keep trimmed back, some you may need to keep them from flowering...the list is endless....Sweet marjoram is very slow growing here and if it grows slow in warmer climates...then it should be fine the way it is for 2-3 or more years. That is one of my favorite herbs to grow also, I was very thrilled to see mine has survived the winter here, it is a tender perennial and our cold weather sometimes kills it. Also is your pot in full sun, shade, part sun????

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 20, 2006 01:46 PM
Hi, Comfrey, nice to meet you.
The herb pot is in mostly in the sun. I turn it around to sun it on all sides.
I've grown herbs for many years.
I miss comfrey (the herb) terribly. Wish the FDA would let us have it back.
Yes, most of the things I grow I can grow year round.
The herbs I love best: sweet marjoram, comfrey, peppermint, chocolate mint, golden marjoram, santolina, German chamomile, rosemary, and all of the mints which of course are grown in separate pots.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 21, 2006 01:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
I've grown herbs for many years.
I miss comfrey (the herb) terribly. Wish the FDA would let us have it back.

Are you saying that CA doesn't allow the plant(comfrey) to be grown anymore in your state, or are you refering to the warnings from the FDA?

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 22, 2006 01:29 PM
The FDA, from what I have been told by several sources, banned the sale of the plant as it reputedly caused liver cancer or something like that.
That's why it's not for sale anymore.
Thanks for the kind offer of some roots, but here's a piece of good news ! A man who works at the local health store has offered to dig up a plant from his yard ! Thanks though !

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Herb in box| Next thread: herbal challenge »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: