The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cinnamon Basil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Cinnamon Basil| Next thread: Cinnamon Basil »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on December 21, 2005 11:35 PM
Guess what a second plant has popped up in my pot of Cinnamon Basil. Now I have one plant for seeds and one for leaves. I'm really pleased. I only had a few seeds to plant and I didn't want to let it go to seed because some times I'm not very successful at harvesting seeds. But now I have one I can practice on. Wish me luck all. I love this kind of basil for porkchops.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on December 22, 2005 12:45 AM
Sounds great Tammy!!! Good luck!
I've never had cinnamon basil...besides pork, what else is it commonly used with? I've only grown sweet basil, maybe I'll try some others.
Christina

-
 -
by tkhooper on December 22, 2005 04:44 AM
I haven't tried it yet but I'm betting that it's going to go great in a quiche and with roasted chicken just off of the top of my head. I was so suprised at how good it tastes with the pork. I hope I get a bunch of seeds so that I can dry up a mess of it. My one plant isn't keeping up with demand.

I know what you mean about trying different kinds. I've heard some really good things about some of the others and will definitely be looking for them.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on December 23, 2005 07:56 AM
I try to keep 4 or 5 varieties of basil going...Genovese, Cinnamon, lemon, sweet and red rueben basil..All the basil are really great in salads, chicken salads, tomatoes & basil, ham...well I can't think of much basi; wouldn't be good inn. I am so spoiled having fresh herbs...couldn't cook without them!

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by tkhooper on December 24, 2005 04:47 AM
I've only done the cinnamon and the sweet but I'll pay much more attention when others are mentioned from here on out. But then I guess that goes without saying lol.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on December 24, 2005 10:42 AM
How's your other indoor herbs going Tammy? My seem to be at a "stand-still". They're very healthy looking...perhaps I should furtilize in the near future. I was hoping to have the thyme and rosemary before Christmas but if I pick it, they're won't be any left. [Frown] So I had to spend more money at the grocery store. I think from now on, I'll just keep fresh herbs going all year 'round, if they'll keep for me that is.

-
 -
by tkhooper on December 24, 2005 10:49 AM
Well I've had luck drying chives in the microwave and air drying the basil. I haven't hand any luck with the other ones yet but I keep trying lol.

I fertilize about every week sometimes every other week depending on how much water the herbs are sucking up.

Rosemary won't grow for me so I can't tell you anything about that. The same for the thyme. But I'm glad they are working so well for you.

-
 -
by Triss on December 24, 2005 10:56 AM
Great job Tammy. Hope they both do well for you!!!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Amigatec on December 25, 2005 07:27 AM
I was given some Lime Basil I want to try this spring.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by tkhooper on December 25, 2005 10:20 AM
I couldn't wait when I got the seeds for my basil so they went right into the pot lol. You have really good self control to be able to wait until spring.

-
 -
by Amigatec on December 26, 2005 08:48 AM
Well I am glad I can slow down for a while,my wife is disabled and requires a lot of care.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by tkhooper on December 26, 2005 02:26 PM
You are a blessing to be willing to help your wife. Take care and enjoy your lime basil.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on December 27, 2005 01:30 PM
Yes, TK is right..you are a blessing to care for your wife...Amegitec...that can be a very difficult job.

quote:
, they're won't be any left.
Christina...I have found that with herbs...pinching (or cutting) actually encourages new growth..so don't be afraid to use what you can ....it may actually help them.

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Uncle Grandma on March 09, 2006 10:06 AM
I'm just getting into this forum. Was interested in some of the comments wondering how to use cinnamon basil. I married into Armenian recipes in 1951, and learned to cook. They use a lot of basil and I have some fantastic recipes for main dishes using both cinnamon and clove basils. If there is any interest I can try to figure out how to post them...

Also, regarding drying for storage: I discovered, quite by accident, that herbs dry beautifully if you just wash them, wrap them in a paper towel, and put them in the vegetable compartment of your fridge til they're crispy. They keep their color and their fresher flavor!
by weezie13 on March 09, 2006 10:19 PM
Uncle Grandma,
Welcome, We're very glad you found us..
And I just love that name..

Please, if you need any help, do not hestitate
to ask anyone here, *also, if you'd like, you can enable one of your ICONS, an envelope, at the top of your posts, and people can PM you (Private Message) and then can also help you that way..
If you need any help!!
Just give a holler!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on March 09, 2006 10:28 PM
Hi Uncle Grandma,

I sure hope you are willing to share those recipes. I love recipes. I've never heard of clove basil. Where did you find that?

Can someone tell me why my cinnamon basil is trying to turn purple? My sweet basil never did that and it seems very strange to me. I've been pinching the purple tips of all my branches thinking that maybe there were flower spikes forming but now some of the older leaves are trying to turn color too. I'm confused.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 10, 2006 09:53 AM
Tammy I found a picture on the seed savers exchange, it has purple looking leaves:
Cinnamon Basil

Hope this helps.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 10, 2006 10:54 PM
Does this stuff taste cinnamin?
Or just smell like cinnamin and really tastes
like regular basil?????

Looks pretty!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 11, 2006 02:28 AM
it has a hint of a cinnamon smell that comes across right before the basil smell hits you.

I have a hard time thinking of a description of the taste in the porkchops except to say that it is a sweet taste hinted at as you first take a bite. I found it very pleasing. I've never had that taste from regular basil that I buy in the store.

I definitely what to try making pesto with it when I have some more time lol. Time is getting to be scarce around here.

pm me your address and I'll send you some seeds for it. I think you'll like it.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 05:18 AM
I had picked up a package of Cinnamon Basil
last year, and never got around to planting it...
(I have gotttttttttt to find me a heater for
my greenhouse)
But by the time I got around to doing all the regular veggies I like, and then doing the flowers, I ran out of dirt, 6~packs and time...
And space and energy...

I also just found a package of Dark Opal Basil too..
*do you have any of that?*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 13, 2006 09:09 PM
No, I have the sweet and the italian along with the cinnamon and that's it.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cinnamon Basil| Next thread: Cinnamon Basil »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: