The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Scarlet Runner beans edible?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Scarlet Hawthorn Tree| Next thread: scarlet sage »
Back to Thread index
by Patty S on November 09, 2006 09:27 PM
Someone asked me if Scarlet Runner beans could be eaten.

I remember my Mom growing them when I was little, & telling me that they were just "for looks"... not for eating.

[dunno]

-
 -
by papito on November 10, 2006 01:14 AM
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV023

Bean, Scarlet Runner -- Phaseolus coccineus L.

quote:
USE
Both the pods and the green shelled beans are edible in the fresh stage and are sometimes substituted for lima beans. The root is often eaten by Central America Indians.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by obywan59 on November 10, 2006 03:58 AM
I've eaten both the green beans and the shelled beans of scarlet runner. The green beans are best when fairly young. They get really, really stringy later on.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by MrClint on November 10, 2006 01:32 PM
I eat the pods fresh steamed. They have a sweet crunchiness that is really very good, and somewhat under-rated by many gardeners, IMO.

The plants are attractive and hardy, with nicely colored flowers and bold green foliage. They attract bees and hummers too! Is there anything this plant can't do?

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by Patty S on November 11, 2006 01:26 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone! [kissies] I don't know why my Mom said they weren't for eating... I'd always been under the impression that they were poison or something! [nutz]
quote:
Originally posted by MrClint:
Is there anything this plant can't do?
Fold laundry? I'm still looking for something that'll do that... I don't even care if it's a plant, except it would be better if it were one that could winterover! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by joclyn on November 11, 2006 09:56 AM
here's some info about the scarlet runner beans

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Scarlet Hawthorn Tree| Next thread: scarlet sage »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: