The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is it Fall or second Summer?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Is it bad?| Next thread: Is it going to die? »
Back to Thread index
by MrClint on November 09, 2006 01:44 PM
Nothing is slowing down here! It's been in the 90's this past week. Thank goodness none of the greens have bolted. Spinach, lettuce and other salad greens are going great guns. I'm bringing in hefty salad makings just about every other day.

The heat forced my hand into bringing in the first fruits of the fall tomato harvest -- an early girl and a silvery fir tree. They both were starting to blush red, so they should ripen just fine in the kitchen the rest of the way.

Peppers? Yeppers! Still bringing in poblanos and serranos.

Feels like second Summer. [Smile]

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by Deborah L. on November 09, 2006 01:48 PM
Wow, that all sounds great !
It was so hot here too, but cooled suddenly and dramatically this afternoon.
Are you close to San Diego county?

-
 -
by MrClint on November 10, 2006 01:21 PM
I'm up in LA county.

by Deborah L. on November 10, 2006 05:18 PM
OK ! Just curious ! [wavey]

-
 -
by roflol on November 11, 2006 06:09 AM
And how do those silvery fir tree tomatoes taste? [grin] I'm liking how they look, but taste would be the deal-maker on whether they are in my "consider" or "don't consider" list for next year's 1 or 2 tomato plants (smallish in-ground garden). I'm looking for a good slicer. Thanks for your input, and congrats on living in a world of long seasons.

Terri (where the only green left is the lawn grass.... yeah, the grass that was brown all summer.... [Razz] )
by MrClint on November 13, 2006 07:11 AM
Funny you should ask, I just had one as a mid-day snacker. It was a very good tomato.

It's a handsome tomato with deep rich, red coloration and a roundish shape but with a slightly flattened top and bottom side.

The flesh is meaty with a fair amount of juice, and not overly seedy. Taste wise I would say it falls to the acid side (rather than sweet), with a faint "citrus/lemon" finish, but with a fairly rich tomato flavor overall.

It is as thick-skinned as you will ever find. To most folks that's a negative, but for my money thick skinned toms seem to have fewer splits and stink bug damage. It's a real winner in my book.

by weezie13 on November 13, 2006 07:22 AM
quote:
Is it Fall or second Summer?
[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [tongue]

Funnnny we've been asking over here on this side
if it's Fall or WINTER ALREADY!~ [Eek!] [tears] [scaredy] [Frown]

Lucky you on the second summer...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by netty on November 13, 2006 07:41 AM
I'm so jealous Mr Clint! It's like winter here and oh how I wish I could pick myself a fresh tomato!

-
 -
by Deborah L. on November 13, 2006 08:44 AM
OK, uh, don't throw anything at me, but....I cut my lemon verbena to the ground for "winter" and uh, calm down now, it's shooting back up and leafing out like crazy and PUT DOWN THAT BAT !!! [scaredy] [scaredy] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by MrClint on November 13, 2006 12:11 PM
Year-round gardening would be hard for me to give up.

by tkhooper on November 13, 2006 08:01 PM
lol @ Deborah L. Good one. I enjoyed your comment.

I dont' envy 90 degree temperature. By the end of summer here in Virginia I'm ready for the cooler temperatures. Not that I want to have to deal with snow but I do need a break from the heat.

Thanks for the information on the tomatoes. I'm looking for the compact sweet slicing tomato that will produce early and then just keep on producing. That's my dream tomato.

-
 -
by weezie13 on November 13, 2006 09:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
OK, uh, don't throw anything at me, but....I cut my lemon verbena to the ground for "winter" and uh, calm down now, it's shooting back up and leafing out like crazy and PUT DOWN THAT BAT !!! [scaredy] [scaredy] [Big Grin]
[Wink] [Big Grin] [tongue] [kissies]

[thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deborah L. on November 15, 2006 11:53 AM
[tongue] LOL, Weez !
Glad you like it too, TK !
My dream tomato would be a patio type that would give me big, tangy beefsteaks for sandwiches.
And thick slices that I would sprinkle with salt and d-e-v-o-u-r.....

-
 -
by Deborah L. on November 15, 2006 11:55 AM
Hey, TK, that sounds like a good new thread-your comment about your dream tomato.
Start one ! [clappy]

-
 -
by MrClint on November 18, 2006 03:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
I'm looking for the compact sweet slicing tomato that will produce early and then just keep on producing. That's my dream tomato.
How does it feel to want? [Wink]
The early toms that I've grown that produce heavily are large indeterminates. You may want to look at some of the bush type determinates and do some succession planting to keep production going.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Is it bad?| Next thread: Is it going to die? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: