The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Vadalia Onion

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Vacuum contents| Next thread: Valentine Cookies »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on September 30, 2006 10:56 PM
One of my vadalia onions that I bought at the store has sprouted. Do you think if I put it in a pot that I could get it to bloom inside? I would love to have the seeds.

-
 -
by markr on October 01, 2006 01:04 AM
true onions can be planted outside at this time of year to grow seed.
not sure if it will cope with lack of light indoors?

I will be planting onion sets this week, for a early crop next season.
so it shows that yours should cope as well.
hope this helps!

-
Mark
by obywan59 on October 01, 2006 02:18 AM
Tammy, I plant onion seeds in the fall as well as sets of potato onions to overwinter. If you plant your I'm not sure about vidalias, but Walla Wallas are fairly hardy. I use row covers over my overwintering onions, but try planting next to the south side of a building for extra protection. You're climate is warmer than mine anyhow, so there's a good chance it will survive.

Also, onions are biennials and need the cold temperatures of winter and then the warming temperatures of spring and summer to tell them it's time to flower and set seed. It also works to store the bulbs in a cool place and replant in spring, but since yours is already sprouted, it's probably best to plant outside.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on October 01, 2006 02:21 AM
Thanks Mark and Terry

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 01, 2006 08:30 PM
Further update on the onion. Well I didn't want to put it in the ground incase I move so I compromised. I found a pot that wasn't pretty and planted it in that and set that outside. Hopefully the vadalia will do well that way. If it's like the other store bought onion it will take a good long time to bloom.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Vacuum contents| Next thread: Valentine Cookies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: