The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Spinach

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Spinach| Next thread: Spinach »
Back to Thread index
by Deborah L. on September 28, 2006 01:36 PM
This spinach thing on the news now is so tragic - and frightening too. Makes me want to plant some of my own.
I wonder if a small variety would do OK in a huge pot? Anybody tried it?
We can do spinach year round here.

-
 -
by Patty S on September 28, 2006 01:54 PM
quote:
This spinach thing on the news
Sorry, but WHAT "spinach thing"?  -
There was nothing about spinach on the news that I watched today. [dunno]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on September 28, 2006 02:07 PM
It's been on the news nationwide - that packaged spinach - the kind in the salad bags, is causing e-coli in various states.
No word on the canned or frozen or fresh. (YET)

-
 -
by Patty S on September 28, 2006 11:11 PM
Thanks, Deborah. I hadn't heard that, but it sounds weird... I thought that E. coli came from cattle, undercooked beef, raw milk or water that has been contaminated with it. [dunno] Makes me wonder how it got into spinach!

I did hear in yesterday's news that Chicago wants to ban trans fats, & it sounded like they were aiming at McDonald's french fries... which is too bad, because now McDonald's business will suffer from the bad publicity, when (as I understand it) all they have to do is switch to a non-hydrogenated cooking oil!

I sure don't know where these food police people came from, but they seem to be a bit radical with some of the stuff they come up with! [Roll Eyes] (I'll stay away from bagged spinach until the jury is in on that one, & I don't like french fries anyway, so the McDonald thing is no biggy to me.)

I haven't grown my own spinach since my health-nut daughter grew up & moved away from home, but I just might take it up again, because it IS yummy, & easier than heck to grow! Try it... you'll like it!  -

-
 -
by MrClint on September 28, 2006 11:54 PM
I plant mine in the wide, shallow plastic pots available at Home Depot. I have to move spinach to the shade at the first sign of a heat wave or else it will bolt.

You should get your seeds going now. September is prime time to start spinach here in So Cal. I've got some bloomsdale started as we speak, although Melody Hybrid is the suggested variety in warmer climates.

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by LandOfOz on September 29, 2006 01:33 AM
I heard that the e-coli in the spinach came from contaminated water that they used to water the plants with. They had (in KS anyway) all markets pull spinach from their shelves. It was wierd seeing all those big empty spaces in the produce section.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Deborah L. on September 29, 2006 06:10 AM
Thanks, all.
I'll try the spinach in pots too, Mr. Clint. Thanks for telling me what variety to use here. I'm in San Diego county.
Patty, sure is weird.... but better safe than sorry and I love spinach so I'm gonna try growing it.
Sarah, they pulled the bagged spinach here too.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Spinach| Next thread: Spinach »
Back to Thread index