The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

George Washington ???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Useless Jes on September 26, 2006 06:00 AM
Did he take down my apple tree? I read you have to plant the whole apple to get a tree in about a year. Is it true? Tell me! [thumb]

"It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing!" Duke Ellington
by johnCT on September 26, 2006 08:21 PM
From what I understand, it's difficult to get apple trees to germinate and grow from seed. You're better off buying a grafted sapling that has combined the variety of apple you're looking for with a superior rootstock.

Of course, one of the great things about gardening is that it can't hurt to try! [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by badplanter on September 27, 2006 09:24 AM
quote:
Of course, one of the great things about gardening is that it can't hurt to try!

and that's the truth! [thumb] [Big Grin]

I'm going to try to grow it from seed, just to see what happens...i'm not going to plant the whole apple though....i'm just eating th apples, and saving the seeds...

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by stokes4show on September 30, 2006 08:32 AM
Ive tried from seeds every year and nothing ever came up
by kennyso on September 30, 2006 09:34 AM
We have a big ole useless apple tree with tons of rotting apples, none are edible but there are usually seedlings all around. I would say direct sow them in the fall or better yet, just toss the core in a hole and bury it.

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by chrissy fair on October 01, 2006 09:08 AM
I would suggest you plant the WHOLE apple not just the core. It will have a better chance of sprouting with all the flesh around it, it doesn't just rot, but feeds the seeds the stuff it needs.
my grandson likes to plant "things" mostly rock...weird but he IS only 3. anywho, he planted an apple his mama gave him, the WHOLE thing and it sprouted. They now have a 2 foot tree in the backyard and he calls it his Gabby food,(Gabby is his baby brother not even 7 months old) for when he gets older

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: