The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

spider mites

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: spider mites| Next thread: spider mites & house plants »
Back to Thread index
by MossLady on February 11, 2006 08:53 AM
Hello Everyone,
I'm new here...!
I live in Oklahoma and have had a wicked time with spider mites for the last 2 years due to a drought... can anything be done other than soaking my lawn? Also, if I soak my yard, does that keep those pesky pests away? It didn't seem to help last year.
HELP!!!
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 12:05 AM
Hi MossLady. Nice to see a fellow Oklahoman here. What are the spidermites on?
One thing to try first is putting a good spray nozzle on a hose and spraying the underside of the leaves of the infected plant. Do that several times and see if it helps. If not, try using NEEM spray, it's a botanical spray (natural). Pyrethrin should work fairly well, too.
I'll try and check this thread again to see if you have more questions. [thumb]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Buglady on February 17, 2006 12:23 PM
yes.. what are the spider mites on? that can make a big difference on treatment. some of the oils may be too heavy and cause burning. I will get back to you once we know the host plant and are you SURE they are spider mites? also there are several types of spider mites.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by MossLady on February 17, 2006 09:36 PM
The spider mites first started attacking my burning bushes, then jumped to some of my potted plants. I went online and read about using a small amount of dish soap and mineral oil... it helped some but not much, I did this every 2 weeks last summer... results were not that great.
PS> I have several burning bushes that are 6 ft tall.
Thanks for any help! [Smile]
by MossLady on February 17, 2006 09:39 PM
Whoops, another question....
If I blast the leaves with water, will that knock the mites to other plants nearby?
by Buglady on February 17, 2006 11:38 PM
yes.. you could blast them to other plants but not all mites attack all plants. Not knowing what you have its hard to tell.

Also be carefully about what you read on the Internet... many people that post these ideas do not have research to back them up. This is how people burn / damage the foliage on their plants. Granted some items do work, but some of the things i have read make my head spin.

If they are 2-spotted spider mites they love warm dry weather. Depending what is going on with your weather, weather may be able to help you. If it gets more humid or cool off this will slow down the speed of their life cycle.

I would use something like Ultrafine spray oil. It is a very light oil. Also with spider mites you may need to do back to back sprays 4-5 days apart. This will get newly hating eggs (mite egg hatch in 4-5 days)

Hope this helps!

-
 -
The Buglady
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 11:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Buglady:
This will get newly hating eggs (mite egg hatch in 4-5 days)

Hope this helps!

Newly hating eggs! That's appropriate! [Big Grin]
Sorry to tease you Buglady! I'm glad you posted all that info...I didn't realize there were more than one kind of spidermite. I tend to use Neem for many pest problems for the quick knockdown.
Last year I had spidermites on my tomatoes, but I didn't get around to spraying. It was too hot any time I had the time to deal with it. What type of mite would that have been?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Buglady on February 18, 2006 12:14 AM
my guess would be Tetranychus urticae Koch aka twospotted spider mite, But without seeing them hard to tell.

-
 -
The Buglady
by Buglady on February 18, 2006 12:17 AM
Here is an article that i did on mites you might want to read
mite ID and control

-
 -
The Buglady
by MossLady on February 18, 2006 09:08 AM
I read your article...!
And thanks for the tips....!
OK, I have another question [Embarrassed]
We have installed a misting system throughout our yard, will this help keep spider mites away, or do they just blow in on the wind? Do they freeze and die in the winter?
I'm tired of them partying at MY house in the summer....! They need to move on...!
[dunno]
by Buglady on February 18, 2006 09:22 AM
Send them over to me.. i love having them so i can take pictures of them!

not sure if they misting system will help... it might a little but don't forget moisture promotes diseases too.

In the winter most mites (not all) over winter as eggs.

and yes they will still blow in on the wind or you will bring them home from the store. i was at a big box store (that orange is their color) and the ivy they had was covered in spider mites, and they were selling the plants.

-
 -
The Buglady
by MossLady on February 19, 2006 10:30 PM
YIKES! Bringing them home from the store...! [Eek!]
How RUDE for the box store to sell that stuff...
Buy a Ivy get free mites!
Doesn't sound like fun to me.
OK, I have a big yard, shady in the front, sunny on the north side, the mites started on the north side then slowly made their way to the shady front. Last year, I noticed they attacked the burning bushes on the north side but didn't touch the Rose of Sharon that was closeby...
I guess I have my work cut out for me this summer if the drought continues...
[dunno]
by Buglady on February 20, 2006 12:07 AM
Big box stores sell plants with insects ALL the time. I get some great specimens that way.

and keep in mind not all insects/ mites attack all plants and many times there are plant stresses invoiced with how the pests select their plants.

-
 -
The Buglady

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: spider mites| Next thread: spider mites & house plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: