The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

FYI - Be Careful of using your store card when buying chemicals for the garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by largelady@aol.com on May 29, 2004 11:54 AM
Not sure if I put this in the right topic but just thought people should know, especailly with all the problems with Terrorism going around.

I was talking to my sister today and she told me about this guy in town that went to the store for his wife for several things. She needed moth balls, epsom salts, and ammonia. The guy used his store card to get the "discount", well two days later the cops and the FBI showed up at his house with a search warrent. They searched the house, took his computer and questioned them for hours because appearently these can be used to make bombs.

So if you are going to the store for the moth balls ( for the cats or for winter storage), epsom salts ( for your roses or your feet) and ammonia ( for cleaning ) Be aware the government maybe on your door step.
by gardenmom32210 on May 29, 2004 04:06 PM
That was a horrible thing to happen to them,but on the other hand I'm glad the government is keeping track of those things. With all the crazies out there,you never really know. We had an incident here a few years back where a woman opened a wrapped present(it was around christmas) that blew up, killing her and injuring her child. Everything used to make the bomb was purchased at local stores. They found the same stuff at her ex-husbands home. If someone had put 2&2 together she might be alive today.

Karen [grin]
by catlover on May 29, 2004 06:43 PM
Largelady.... [thinker] they are probably doing searches on the internet and your thread will pop up.... hope your house is clean when they bust in your door!!! [perplexed] ....hope they read the whole paragraph before jumping.LOL

Kinda nice they are doing something to keep an eye out!
Thanks for the update!!!
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on May 29, 2004 10:11 PM
I TOLD my cousin yesterday that all those little plastic "store" cards on her keyring was the government keeping track of what she bought and she didn't believe me! I bet the IRS uses that data, too! (Uhh Ohh!!!)

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on May 29, 2004 11:30 PM
Wow, I never would've thought the government would be keeping an eye on our purchases.....it really surprises me.......Big brother is always watching I guess....I'm glad that they are taking everyones safety into consideration, but how horrible of that to happen.......I'd have half the town standing around gawking if they showed up at my house--small town living...... [Razz]
by GaWd on May 30, 2004 01:20 AM
Alright people, take your tinfoil hats off before posting. [Smile] You can't really believe this stuff now, can you?

Sam Roza
by Phil and Laura on May 30, 2004 01:46 AM
Gawd, What makes You think that They Aren't keeping tabs on questionable purchases of certain Items.
It is not bad here in Mn.;however,in Missouri, the purchase of..acetone, ether, or cold medication,or propane in quanity, , CAN and Will, get you served a warrant, or Watched and suspected of Meth production. You should give it a try in Ca.! Go out now and buy 4 or 5 packs of ephedrine cold medication, while you are there, buy a gallon of ammonia and a can of starting fluid.. (Have a Nice Evening!) [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [devil]
by largelady@aol.com on May 30, 2004 02:15 AM
Hi Catlover, if they show up here, they are going to have to clean first (stuffed closets, gargage, shed) keep saying I should tip the house upside down onto the lawn and start over, [Big Grin] Nothing here for them to find though, need to rent a truck and get rid of this stuff. Not being paranoid GaWd, stuff like this really happens, because of the kids taking Coricidin for a high, around here you can only buy one box at a time even with Nyquil, only one bottle. I am glad that they are keeping a watch but anyone who is going to do something like make a bomb is going to be buying more than one box of the stuff, I would think. But just wanted eveyone to know that it can and does happen. I know they watch emails and certain web sites, that is how they have caught some terrorists and pedifiles.
by catlover on May 30, 2004 03:06 AM
quote:
they watch emails and certain web sites
FBI watching...The Garden Helper site!!!  - and keeping an eye on GaWd!!! [Big Grin]
You might want to keep an eye on Phil's garden....never know what could be sprouting out there!!! [grin]

Never thought of using the method of tipping the house and dumping....my mom just moved to a retirement facility and I have tons of boxes yet to go through. I know ALL about stuffed closets.
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on May 30, 2004 03:16 AM
If you don't think SOMEONE is watching, try to go to the Wal-Mart here and buy some Sudafed and fingernail polish remover at the same time! The check out clerk rang the little "secret" bell, and next thing you know the manager is there asking me for my driver's license! (I have allergies REAL bad! So, it didn't take much of an effort for me to blow my nose real big on a Kleenex and lay it down on the counter before I walked out WITHOUT my Sudafed!)

-
 -
 -
by catlover on May 30, 2004 03:39 AM
Naive here...what do they do with those 2 things??? [dunno]
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by Phil and Laura on May 30, 2004 03:52 AM
[grin] [grin] [grin] [Big Grin]
by afgreyparrot on May 30, 2004 04:28 AM
They make "crank" with all kinds of stuff like that. Battery acid, rat poison, acetone, etc...

And, by the way, I have about 6 of those stupid plastic store cards on my keychain. Kroger's, Speedway, CVS, etc... When I fill the card out for them I put "Smith Jones, 100 Main Street, London, KY." on it. (That is the address of the courthouse here!) For the phone number I put the local time and temp number!

-
 -
 -
by catlover on May 30, 2004 04:43 AM
A high and a death sentence all in one! [nutz]

Cindy...don't they look at your address on your license when you apply for those cards?? I am sooo against those stinken cards. Why don't they just reduce the price a little on all their products and then they would get more turnover and less hassle for the customers!!! [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on May 30, 2004 05:07 AM
No, they don't check it against your license. They don't even look at it. I hate them, too, but that's what every retail outlet has come to now. I've never put my real name on it, not that I have anything to hide, but it's none of anyone's business how much bird food I buy every month!

As for the crank...you have no idea how many young people you see in the obituaries here that have died from it, and so many lives ruined because of the addiction, and all that goes along with it (stealing to pay for it). It's pretty sad.

-
 -
 -
by GaWd on May 30, 2004 11:49 AM
My point is that the card has nothing to do with suspicion. They won't go and knock your door down a week later if you buy several questionable items. They'll do it right there.

Besides, people like me who have been using the same card for YEARS and have NEVER changed any of the info on them and in fact had the actual owner of the card pass away 5 years ago make it hard to do with any sort of accuracy. There's no way in california that you could get a warrant issued on something like that.

I could walk into any drugstore in town and buy fert. and mothballs, or sudafed and acetone and not have any trouble...methinks it's a local thing more than an epidemic.

Sam

Sam Roza
by Phil and Laura on May 30, 2004 03:55 PM
Look Everyone...Gawd says there is no Crank epidemic in Ca., Must be True! [gabby] Yeah Right,A little snippet taken from the website below:80 percent of methamphetamine on the market is produced in “superlabs” in California and Mexico,At least 28 states limit access to meth ingredients, which also include certain chemicals in fertilizers and household products, such as Drano. At least 10 of those states, including California and Missouri, have placed limits on how many packages or grams of pseudoephedrine a person can possess or purchase at a time. Epidemic
which rock you been under? [Roll Eyes]
Phil
by afgreyparrot on May 30, 2004 05:22 PM
Crank is a "mom and pop" enterprise here, with about half the mom and pops in the county making it! One weird thing I can't understand is why a large number of them make it in their cars! They call it "Rolling Meth Labs". If your trunk isn't big enough, they set it up in the back seat and floor! My daughter borrowed my Caddy a few months ago and drove it to work, where everyone teased her all day about her "Rolling Meth Lab", because the trunk is huge! She brought it back and borrowed my pick-up so she wouldn't get pulled over for suspicion of cooking meth on her way to work! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by catlover on May 30, 2004 06:21 PM
Wow Phil...that is awful!
Beginning to wonder if it wasn't better being "naive"! [Frown] DENIAL!!!
Sad to think we have guys and gals over fighting/and have fallen for our country....and this kind of cr*p is happening here. Thank you for the link Phil! At least it will make several people aware of this problem and we can keep our eyes peeled on our children/grandchildren!!!

With all the terrorism going on I do believe their are/or should be higher security measures on all purchases that could be made into explosives. The whole mess is so sad!
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on May 30, 2004 08:09 PM
The meth problem here is WAY out of hand. Every family in this town is affected by it in some way. I have a cousin who used to be the sweetest, shyest young man. Now he's in and out of jail constantly (mostly IN) because of it. Andy has a brother with 4 kids, 3 of whom are in jail right now. One of them got caught with a working meth lad, and was arrested. She smuggled some meth into jail, traded it for cigarettes, and the inmate she gave it to died. Now she is facing murder charges. Meth affects all social classes. Last week one of the town's wealthiest, biggest contractors died of a meth overdose.

-
 -
 -
by GaWd on May 30, 2004 09:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Phil and Laura:
Look Everyone...Gawd says there is no Crank epidemic in Ca., Must be True! [gabby]

Hold on just a second, sparky. I wasn't speaking about the crank problem, I was speaking about governmental interference into your daily shopping experience. Talk about putting words in my mouth!

quote:

which rock you been under? [Roll Eyes]
Phil

Thankfully a rock in which I was able to get a firm grasp of reading comprehension and debating techniques that don't include being disingenuous or obtuse. [Roll Eyes]

You people are something else.

Sam Roza
by Bill on May 30, 2004 11:53 PM
I'm sorry Phil, but I think some of your comments to Sam are totally uncalled for and unneccesary.

This topic is closed!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: