The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Recent harvests

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by johnCT on September 10, 2006 06:26 PM
Here's mine...

This is from last week...
 -

and this is from yesterday...

-

John - Zone 6
by netty on September 10, 2006 07:23 PM
Wow John...that's alot of tomato's!
I wish I would have thought to take pictures of my harvests too!

-
 -
by ChristinaC on September 10, 2006 08:52 PM
That second pic should be framed and hung on a wall!! Yummy...yummy...yummy!!!!

-
 -
by Rosepetal on September 11, 2006 07:05 AM
Great job, John, can't you just taste that tomato sandwich. Hey you're making me hungry.

I think one of the best things of this forum is the fact that we have so many great gardeners on here and how we all encourage each other, in our gardening and also in taking pictures.

I love to see your pictures. Thanks John for sharing with us.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by comfrey on September 11, 2006 10:02 AM
I agree with Christina...The second picture should be framed and hung on the wall...They look very yummy!!! Great job John!!!!!!!

-
 -
by johnCT on September 11, 2006 10:17 PM
OK, what do I do with all these tomatoes?! My wife made her first attempt at making sauce with that first batch. She did a great job, but it was so much work skinning and seeding the fruit. Is there an easier way to do it or what? Also, does making salsa require removing the seed?

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on September 11, 2006 10:25 PM
Leave seeds in the salsa!
As far as the sauce...buy a tomato mill. Quarter your maters and stew them down and then put them through the mill. It will get rid of all skin and seeds! [thumb]
I normally stew them down along with whole garlic cloves, big chunks of onion, celery and carrot and throw the whole works in the mill. He comes out smooth, beautiful sauce with all the flavour!! I then throw it back in the pot and simmer down to desired consistency, add fresh basil, then jar it.
Good luck!

-
 -
by johnCT on September 11, 2006 11:28 PM
Thanks Christina. Can you explain to someone who can only cook pasta what "stew them down" means? [Embarrassed] Obviously I throw them in a pot, but with water or anything? I make a mean bowl of spaghettios though! [Big Grin]

I should go check the recipes section, but I just don't have time.

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on September 11, 2006 11:47 PM
No, no water! Stew them down basically means "cook them". Cook everything together (tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, garlic) until everything is good and soft. Then throw it all through the mill, put back on stove and just continue to cook (lid off) until it's thick enough for you..however you like it.
And you don't have to chop things into small pieces..just big chunks because after you put it though the mill it will blend everything together to a smooth, red, blended, DELICIOUS sauce!!
Has this helped you any?
Would you like me video tape me doing it and send it to you? [Big Grin]
Trade ya for the spaghettios recipe. [Big Grin]

-
 -
by chenno on September 12, 2006 12:19 AM
I just boil a second to remove skins and then can them or make salsa using food processor, or dry them :-) Looks like you have a great crop of mators:-)

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by johnCT on September 12, 2006 12:50 AM
Thanks guys.

quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:

Has this helped you any?
Would you like me video tape me doing it and send it to you?

Absolutely it has. Clears it up a lot actually. You could send me the video for sure. Do you have one of those "Kiss the cook" aprons? [Big Grin]

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on September 12, 2006 02:55 AM
by chenno on September 12, 2006 09:32 PM
Very Good Christina [thumb]

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch

Active Garden Forum