The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Over Wintering Strawberries - Zone 5b/6a

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by patches1414 on September 09, 2006 01:14 PM
I'm in zone 5b/6a, near St Louis, and I've got some 'everbearing' strawberry plants I started this summer. I would like to know what I need to do in order to keep them over the winter. I'm new to growing strawberries so I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Rosepetal on September 11, 2006 07:10 AM
I really hope someone answers your question Patti, for I'm planning on doing strawberries too. Right beside my greenhouse and any info' I can read will help me along too.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by patches1414 on September 11, 2006 04:05 PM
Me too, Rosepetal! [Wink] Right now, I've got them in pots but I'm making a raised bed for them, so I was hoping someone could give me some ideas and tips for keeping them over the winter in this area. [dunno]

Rosepetal, I love [Love] your greenhouse and I'm waiting for you to post some pictures of the outside of it. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Patty S on September 13, 2006 04:20 AM
Patti, strawberry beds should be covered over with at least 2" of dried leaves or straw during the Winter months. Strawberries are very hardy, but still need to be protected where the ground freezes in the winter.

Remember that strawberry plants with established roots should be planted with the top of the crown above the soil line. Plants from runners, that don't have roots yet, should be pushed down into the soil just a little bit, then kept moist so they can send roots down on their own.

Since you're building raised beds... If there's a lot of clay in your soil, you might want to get some sand to mix in with it. (Good drainage is important for Strawberries, as they don't like having their feet wet.)

Rosey, I hope you have a place to plant your strawberries where they'll get full sun all day long. They can take some shade & still do well, but the more sun, the better.

GOOD LUCK!  -

-
 -
by Rosepetal on September 13, 2006 04:24 AM
Hey thanks Patty,

I read your other post as well and am saving your info' for next year too. I will be preparing the strawberry bed some what this year, but the berries will go in in spring.

Thanks again, I'll be following your advice.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: