The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Black Brandywine heritage tomato

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Black Bottom Tomatos| Next thread: Black Bugs! »
Back to Thread index
by Fernie on August 27, 2006 10:50 AM
I was given one of these absolutely delicious tomatoes to eat about 2 weeks ago. I was soon drooling over the wonderful flavor. Anyway I wanted to save the seeds to grow some of my own for next year. I washed the seeds in clear water and let them dry thoroughly on a screen. Is there anything else I need to do in order to plant them next spring???

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by badplanter on August 27, 2006 03:35 PM
Nothing else that i can think of, just make sure to keep track of them over the winter! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Fernie on August 27, 2006 05:10 PM
Thanks.....I've never saved tomato seeds before so I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything special. I have them in an envelope and in my seed storage container so will see how they work next March.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by Patty S on August 27, 2006 05:16 PM
Hey Fernie, I'm not sure what sort of "container" you're using, but make darned sure that those seeds dry before you seal them up in anything!

You probably know that already... I think you've been at this seed harvesting stuff longer than I have. It's just that I had to learn that the hard way!
(WHAT A MESS!)  -

-
 -
by johnCT on August 31, 2006 01:47 AM
The most common method for saving tomato seed is to let the seeds and juice ferment in the open air for a week or so to break down the gel coat. It is also said to combat disease by doing this also. Once that's done, rinse the seeds well, let them dry thoroughly and store them in a DRY environment. Tomato seed has been proven to stay viable for as long as a decade if stored in ideal conditions.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Black Bottom Tomatos| Next thread: Black Bugs! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: