The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

lettuce tipping over...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: lettuce question| Next thread: lettuce trouble »
Back to Thread index
by badplanter on August 24, 2006 04:33 PM
My Romaine lettuce plants have gotten so tall that they have seemingly toppled over on themselves. They are not damaged though, they just look like the Leaning Tower of Lettuce. How do i keep them stable?

Also, how and when do i harvest my lettuce? What should i look for in a mature plant? Right now, they look like they are blooming on the top. I'll make sure to have measurements tomorrow--it's too dark now! [Big Grin]
Thanks for all your help, as usual everybody!

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Longy on August 25, 2006 12:02 AM
If you take an old plant pot, cut the base out of it and make a slit down the side, you can put it under the lettuce. Like an egg in an egg cup it'll support the lettuces.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Woodland Garden on August 25, 2006 05:29 AM
You want to harvest lettuce before it bolts into bloom. Soon as it does that it gets bitter tasting.
Sounds like yours is bolting.
by ChristinaC on August 25, 2006 05:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Woodland Garden:
You want to harvest lettuce before it bolts into bloom. Soon as it does that it gets bitter tasting.
Sounds like yours is bolting.

That's exactly what I was going to say.
I'd say harvest it now and enjoy it! [thumb]

-
 -
by badplanter on August 25, 2006 05:54 AM
ok, thanks for everyone's help!!
In my original question, i said i would post measurements, so here they are:
the plant is around 26inches tall(standing straight), and the base is a little under 1 inch long. i also have a few pictures of the bolting and blooming just to make sure it is what it really is, although i do trust you all completly. When i first saw this, it struck me as odd, and has stayed like that with me.

-

-

-

sorry the pics are so big--i didn't edit them yet
also, the pics are really blurry--sorry for that too-- that was my "wonderful high-quality camera" [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by ChristinaC on August 25, 2006 06:40 AM
I'd be pickin' that lettuce. You might find that it has turned somewhat bitter already. I pick mine as needed..a little at a time. Once it starts to bloom, it's rabbit food. [thumb]

-
 -
by badplanter on August 25, 2006 06:48 AM
[thumb] Thanks for all your help!!!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: lettuce question| Next thread: lettuce trouble »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: