The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Easy canning recipe for pears??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: easy wildflowers?| Next thread: Easy cherry.roama maator salsa.. »
Back to Thread index
by morningstar on August 22, 2006 01:06 PM
Hi all. Just picked 3 pecks of pears. (Sounds like a rhyme) They are not ripe, but they passed the lift test, so they are ready to come off the tree.

Questions are: Does anyone know of an easy canning recipe for pears? Also, do the pears need to be ripe? Or, since you cook them, can you use unripen pears? Any other recipes for pears that you can think of. Also, anyone have a sugar free recipe for using pears?

Thanks,

Dawn in Ohio
by comfrey on August 22, 2006 03:23 PM
I do know that if use your pears that are not ripe, even after they are cooked they will be tasty, but on the hard side.

-
 -
by morningstar on August 23, 2006 12:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. Was reading online last night and all the recipes I found recommended ripe pears. So, now the pears are on my basement floor, all spread out. Gotta remember to shut the basement door or my stupid puppies will go eat pears.

Dawn in Ohio
by weezie13 on August 23, 2006 12:18 AM
Morningstar,
Heyyyyyyyy, I don't have any recipes',
just wanted to send a great big [wavey]
and say helllllllo!!!
How have you been?

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Sorellina on August 23, 2006 01:41 PM
Ciao Dawn,

I'm up to my ears in pears also. They're ripening under my potting table at the moment and I'm actually glad they're still mostly rock hard because I've got plums and tomatoes to deal with as well. I'm planning on making Pear Butter with a number of my pears. It's like a soft spread, not exactly a jam and it's not sugar-free. I can post the recipe here if you're keen. Another thing I've done before and will most likely do this year is dry them using the dehydrator. They make a lovely camping snack. I dust them with superfine sugar so they don't stick together. You could also make fruit leather.

Let me know,
Julianna

-
by morningstar on August 23, 2006 02:13 PM
Hello Weezie. I'm good. How have you been?

Sorellina, yes, I would be interested in your pear butter recipe. Mom mentioned making that with the pears. I'm sort of lucky. I grow and she cans. Gotta love that!

Dawn
by weezie13 on August 23, 2006 02:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by morningstar:
Hello Weezie. I'm good. How have you been?

I have been fair to mid~land...
But it is good to see you here Dawn!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Sorellina:
You could also make fruit leather.
Julianna

Recipe [critic] for Fruit Leather???????? [dunno] [Cool] [thumb] [kissies]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Bestofour on August 24, 2006 03:24 AM
how many pear trees do you have? I only have one but we get loads of pears every year without doing one thing to that tree.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by DeepCreekLake on August 26, 2006 06:51 AM
try dehydrating pears (make pear chips) they are very good, and easy to make. The best way to ripen a pear if you are trying to speed it up is to put some in a brown or plastic bag with other pears or apples.Put them on room temp area like a counter top. Pears and other fruit release ethylene gases as they ripen which speeds up ripening. You did right in picking them still green- if you let them tree ripen, they will be astringent and bad tasting. Seckels can be tree ripened fully however!
by fishfinder on August 30, 2006 04:17 PM
I have read that instead of sugar syrup for canning you can substitute water or unsweetened fruit juice such as white grape or apple. But with this you must us a hot pack method only. There are also some good low suger recipeis in the Ball Blue Book on canning. I have never tried this way, but good luck!!!!!
by morningstar on September 05, 2006 02:05 AM
Hi. We have 3 pear trees. Pulled 5 pecks off one tree and my mom and I have been doing pears for 5 days! Geez! These things must multipy when on the table.
by tkhooper on September 05, 2006 02:23 AM
Some people use splenda when canning fruit. It won't last as long as canning in sugar but it does have it's benefits.

I so wish I had a pear tree but I don't.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: easy wildflowers?| Next thread: Easy cherry.roama maator salsa.. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: