The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

avocado plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Avocado Plants| Next thread: Avocado plants from seeds »
Back to Thread index
by shari13 on August 19, 2006 04:14 AM
I did a search on this and couldnt find anything on it. Hopefully someone here will know.

I have heard that if you start an avocado plant by the seed, you will have to get a branch from an already established fruit bearing tree and merge them together in order for your plant to bear fruit. Is this true? and, how long does it take to get fruit?

shari
by art on August 19, 2006 12:43 PM
shari
yes it is true. an avocado tree from seed takes about 15 years to bear fruit.now sometimes you might get lucky as i did and get fruit in about 5 years.if you graft the tree with a limb (called a scion) from a tree that has already had fruit, you can usuallt have fruit the following year.within 2 years for sure.

art
by shari13 on August 19, 2006 12:47 PM
ok, so now i am bummed! no offense Art, but 15 years? mama mia, I am 39 now... i guess I should should buy a tree....LOL

shari
by art on August 20, 2006 11:39 AM
Shari,
sorry for the bad news.as i said ,sometimes you get lucky and have fruit in about 5 years. but it is very very unlikely.you could hire someone to graft it for you.but it would cost more than buying one from a nursery.the trees you buy at a nursery are already grafted,so you get fruit within 2 years.in your area i believe you will have to contend with frost.i can give you some pointers on how to handle that if you are still interested.

art
by shari13 on August 22, 2006 02:31 AM
that sounds great Art, thank you!

shari
by art on August 22, 2006 11:52 AM
shari
try this site i'm sure you will find what you are looking for. Good Luck.
GrowQuest.com

art
by shari13 on August 26, 2006 02:57 AM
thank you Art

shari

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Avocado Plants| Next thread: Avocado plants from seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: