The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Avocado's - How can I tell

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Avocado plants from seeds| Next thread: Avocado seeds »
Back to Thread index
by EdC on August 15, 2006 07:34 AM
I have a three year old avocado tree - this is the second year it has born fruit - how in the world can I tell when the fruit is pickable?

I'm not sure of the variety - shiny dark green, pebbled skin - grown from seed.

Thanks

EdC
by Longy on August 15, 2006 11:33 PM
It's basically something you'll get the knack for after you've had a few crops. You know what they should look like when fully mature right, so when they are the right size, full and rounded, pick a few. They will ripen more quickly if you flick out the 'button' where the stalk joins the fruit and store in a paper bag with a ripe banana. If you pick a few, just remove the button a few days ahead of requiring the fruit, that way you can regulate them being ripening.

-
The secret is the soil.
by EdC on August 16, 2006 05:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Longy:
It's basically something you'll get the knack for after you've had a few crops. You know what they should look like when fully mature right, so when they are the right size, full and rounded, pick a few. They will ripen more quickly if you flick out the 'button' where the stalk joins the fruit and store in a paper bag with a ripe banana. If you pick a few, just remove the button a few days ahead of requiring the fruit, that way you can regulate them being ripening.

EdC
by EdC on August 16, 2006 05:52 AM
I'm not sure I know what they should look like when fully mature???

EdC
by EdC on August 16, 2006 05:54 AM
I'm not sure if I know what they should look like when fully mature?

quote:
Originally posted by EdC:
quote:
Originally posted by Longy:

EdC
by Longy on August 16, 2006 11:33 PM
not sure if I know what they should look like when fully mature
++++++++++++++++++++
Hmm. OK. Outside of having a look at one in a grocers, they should be fullish and rounded. Like a ripe pear. Not narrow and long. Anyway, just pick a decent biggish rounded one and give it a shot.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Longy on August 16, 2006 11:35 PM
http://www.hawaiifruit.net/avocado.jpg

-
The secret is the soil.
by art on August 19, 2006 01:48 PM
EdC
by your discription i would guess your tree is a hass variety.these flower in february and the fruit can begin to be picked from october till the following october.put the fruit you pick in a paper bag with an apple. check it every few days until it feels soft.
then its ready to eat.

art

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Avocado plants from seeds| Next thread: Avocado seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: