The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

squash

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Squash| Next thread: Squash »
Back to Thread index
by macevets on August 14, 2006 12:33 PM
my zucchini squash plants have healthy looking foliage and flower well and small fruit grow but before they can gain any size they rot on the vine. I have tried reducing the water but it did not help. I put a general purpose dust on the plants but also no improvement. Any ideas on the cause or cure? thanks
by badplanter on August 14, 2006 01:25 PM
how is the sunlight/soil? do you use any fertilizer?

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by weezie13 on August 14, 2006 02:18 PM
Macevets,
It sounds like what you have is BER!!!!

Do a FORUM SEARCH HERE and type in
BLOSSOM END ROT or BER
*mostly should be found in the Vegetable sections, either in the resent sections or the archives*

Then let us know if it sounds like what you have!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by papito on August 14, 2006 02:21 PM
One cause of fruit drop is insufficient pollination.

If you don't see bees visiting between 7:00a.m. and 8:00a.m., it means the flowers are not getting any or enough pollens. Use an artist's paint brush and hand pollinate or follow the instructions at the link below.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/16/1397.html?

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by DeepCreekLake on August 15, 2006 10:01 AM
I think Papito is right, My zuchinnis this year are cranking out fruit faster than I can eat and use them- but I have LOTS of bees busy in my garden and nearby. The ones that dont get pollinated turn yellow and shrievel. You may try and hand pollinating to see it it makes a difference. Get a small paint brush, and pollinate the female flowers (the one with the baby zuchinni behind it by hand, by brushing off some of the pollen dust from the male flowers, and brush it in the center of the female flower. If it takes, you will have a zuchini growing in no time!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Squash| Next thread: Squash »
Back to Thread index