The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Brussels Sprouts

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by lakegran on August 06, 2006 01:48 PM
I have a few B.S. plants, they are huge but show no sign of a stalk or any kind of fruit or blossom. I have never seen this plant growing, so I don't know what to look for. I put in plants in late May. Is it too early for me to give up on them? I could still use that space for a second planting of something else, if they are not likely to 'produce'. [dunno]

-
by markr on August 06, 2006 01:53 PM
what you are looking for is just above the leaf stem, it looks just like a baby cabbage growing on the stalk!
some are not ready till after xmas.

-
Mark
by lakegran on August 06, 2006 02:10 PM
mmmm I think It would be tricky harvesting them in the snow.. [grin]

-
by lakegran on August 07, 2006 12:56 AM
I was reading elsewhere on this forum that many people plant Brussels Sprouts as a fall or cool weather crop, could that be my problem? Could the heat have somehow prevented them from produceing fruit?
I live in Michigan and we often have snow as early as mid November.

-
by Amigatec on August 07, 2006 01:05 AM
I have picked quite a few in Oklahoma despite all the heat.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by lakegran on August 07, 2006 01:17 AM
DANG !!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Ami....I will give them one more week, I guess, and then I will probably use that space for a second planting of something else. How many days before you saw the little sprouts on the stalk?

-
by markr on August 07, 2006 01:14 PM
as you said a fall or winter crop, thats when you will have them ready they take a long time to crop!
some take 9 months or more.
we all have them for xmas dinner here.

-
Mark
by Amigatec on August 07, 2006 01:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lakegran:
DANG !!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Ami....I will give them one more week, I guess, and then I will probably use that space for a second planting of something else. How many days before you saw the little sprouts on the stalk?
I don't remember, but even with all the 100*+ days I still have some to pick, they are small, (about nickel sized) but we have eaten them 2 or 3 times and I have some in the freezer.

The plants are about 4 feet tall now, so I can pick without bending over much.

2 years ago I let them grow all winter and was picking Sprouts in February, but we didn't have a bad winter.

I will probably plant some more this fall.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on August 07, 2006 01:31 PM
Brussel sprouts ARE meant to be a cooler weather crop but please remember that they now have hybrid brussel sprouts..that are meant to be grown through the hot months so that we can harvest and enjoy with our other crops. I'm growing a variety that are meant to be grown through the summer months that I've been eating and ENJOYING for a good month now. If they're ready..pick 'em!!...and enjoy!!! [thumb]

-
 -
by lakegran on August 08, 2006 12:26 PM
Do you mean that you really do DO pick them when there is snow on the ground? Since You are posting from Ontario, your fall and winter must be at least as snowy as ours. I still do not have anything that has formed into a tiny head, a few small bunches of leaves here and there above the big leaves, but no little "cabbages" Mine are about 3 ft. tall.
I guess I will just be patient, I was sure all wet regarding my hot peppers.

-
by Amigatec on August 08, 2006 02:05 PM
This reminded me to go out and pick some sprouts, even with all this hot weather, I still picked about 4 qts tonight.

They are small, but they will taste good anyway.

-
 -
by markr on August 08, 2006 02:08 PM
taste even better if you freeze them for a while [thumb]

-
Mark
by ChristinaC on August 09, 2006 01:14 AM
This is my first year growing sprouts..(with the help from markr) they'll all be picked well before winter. I'm growing Bubbles Brussel Sprouts. They're a hybrid variety that tolerates heat and drought conditions. [thumb] I'll go out shortly and take some pics for you.

Mark..do you freeze them as is or do you blanch them first?

-
 -
by ChristinaC on August 09, 2006 02:44 AM
Here's my pics:

One of my 8 plants. The brown leaf you see at the bottom of the picture is normal and these should be pulled off...(which I did after I took the pic.)

-

Close up of stalk showing how the sprouts grow along it.

-

Even closer pic of just the sprouts...yummy!

-

lakegran..when did you plant your sprouts? I started mine very early..mid Feb. I believe. I had them planted outside as soon as the ground was warm enough to be easily worked.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on August 09, 2006 03:44 AM
they look great christina and very yummy indeed!!!!

-
 -

-
by ChristinaC on August 09, 2006 07:30 AM
One more pic.
Freshly picked, washed and ready for dinner. [thumb]

-

-
 -
by Deborah L. on August 09, 2006 09:45 AM
These are beautiful ! Enjoy ! [wavey]

-
 -
by Bestofour on August 09, 2006 12:55 PM
are they planted from seed?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by ChristinaC on August 09, 2006 01:45 PM
I started them indoors from seed...then planted in the garden about 6 weeks later.

-
 -
by Amigatec on August 09, 2006 02:05 PM
I like to fry mine in a little bit of Olive Oil (Extra Vigin, what else is there? [dunno] [Big Grin] ) and butter, with a bit of salt. [clappy] [muggs]

-
 -
by lakegran on August 10, 2006 09:48 AM
Thanks all, I planted them in mid May, so I guess I still have a month or 2 before I can expect to see, sprouts. Christina you are a hearty soul to be out in February, planting I am guessing that the ground here would still be frozen into mid-March. Honestly I would not even think of getting out into my garden much before Easter. I will check it out next spring.
anyone else out there live in mid Michigan and have experience with Brussels sprouts?
By the way your plants look wonderful. Your pics should be in one of the gardening magazines, so pretty with the sunshine backlighting the plants.
Christina what zone are you in, Are you close to Windor? that should be the same zone I am in.
I did pick about 1/4 bushel of yummy tomatoes today, and a couple of the japanese eggplant and am picking a few cukes and beans every day.
Christina did you say you have the Kung Pao peppers? what color should they be when I begin to pick them?

-
by ChristinaC on August 10, 2006 11:51 AM
Hi lakegran [wavey]
I'm in zone 5b. Probably the same as you. I live in Sarnia...about an hour's drive from Detroit.
I wasn't in the garden in Feb. I started the sprouts in Feb. in my house. I planted them at the end of March.
I pick my Kung Pao as I need them. Right now, they're all green but when I need one, I'll pick it. I'll leave the majority on the plants until they turn red. I have 14 Kung Pao plants so the few I pick as green won't be much of a loss.
You're ahead of me with the tomatoes! I've only picked maybe 10 so far.
And yes, you'll be seeing some sprouts probably in a couple months! [clappy]
Thank-you so much for the compliments! [kissies]
Christina

-
 -
by loz on August 10, 2006 12:16 PM
Okay, my mouth is officially watering now!

I [Love] Brussels Sprouts! [grin]

Good thing my dad grows them across the street! [thumb]

Active Garden Forum