The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

is it a bird, plane...I know it isn't superman but...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on August 06, 2006 01:28 AM
...something is making a hole in my peppers and then eating the seeds out of it. Whatever it is, it doesn't even take the pepper off the vine although it does usually wait until the pepper is almost ripe. Can someone tell me what is going on and how to stop it?

-
 -
by Hi Gator on August 06, 2006 02:45 AM
Could be back to the ol' Horn worm... They will eat peppers too. but eating the seeds...hum??? Look for droppings under the peppers, or damage to the leaves also.
by tkhooper on August 06, 2006 06:16 AM
I will thankyou for the hint.

-
 -
by Bestofour on August 06, 2006 01:49 PM
have you looked at this?

Pepper Maggots
The adults are yellow flies with brown bands on each wing. They lay their eggs within the peppers, and the maggots feed from the inside out, causing considerable damage. If you see any maggot flies, spray with rotenone to control before they begin egg-laying. Once the maggots are inside the fruit, there's little you can do but pick and destroy infested peppers.

Pepper Weevils
Common in the South, these tiny black-snouted beetles are only 1/8 of an inch long. Don't let their size fool you; they can cause a great deal of damage. Adult weevils feed on the foliage and lay eggs in the buds of immature pepper pods. When the eggs hatch, the larvae eat through the buds or fruit, causing them to drop or to be misshapen. There may be several generations a year. Dusting or spraying with pyrethrum helps to control them.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by comfrey on August 06, 2006 04:29 PM
I vote for the Pepper weevils!!!!
But also when peppers get to the ripe stage...It starts on its down hill side very quickly, So it could be that you will need to pick them before that time when this starts to happen. With my Bell peppers, once they turn red...they get about 3-4 shades of red before fully ripe...anytime up to that fully ripe they are good peppers....When they reach that brightest red...the are already starting down wards towards spoilage, within a day of that time they are starting to change become soft then mushy and its tooo late. Now I don't know for sure...I am only telling you what I have experienced with my Bell Peppers & hot peppers do a similar thing, just not as quick.

-
 -
by tkhooper on August 07, 2006 07:40 AM
Papito sent me a great page on different pepper pests. I think the weevil or one of the flies is a definite possibility. If I weren't so blind I would probably have seen the critter that did it. But at least now I know the kinds of pesticides I'll need to get to take care of them.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: