The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

round courgettes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: rotting tomatoes #2| Next thread: Roundup Use in Vegetable Garden »
Back to Thread index
by glenda on July 30, 2006 09:54 AM
this is my first attempt at growing courgettes, dont ask me why, but I chose to try round ones. they are growing like mad...about the size of a tennis ball. Problem is when are they best harvested. and whats the best way to cook them? Dont laugh at my ignorance I am trying my best...really!

-
by Deborah L. on July 30, 2006 11:50 AM
What's a courgette?

-
 -
by melcon6 on July 30, 2006 01:43 PM
LOL, Don't laugh at OUR ignorance!!! I had to google "courgette" and found out it is zuchinni! Now I have NO idea what a round one is??? [dunno] [Big Grin]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by melcon6 on July 30, 2006 01:48 PM
Okay, I do learn something everyday and this is what I have learned today.

"Simply a type of zucchini which is round and should be picked when it is the size of a golf ball. They can be prepared raw, stuffed, or boiled., "

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Deborah L. on July 30, 2006 02:45 PM
Mel, I grew a round zucchini last year called Eight Ball that was simply wonderful.
I didn't know that it's called a courgette either. In fact, I've never heard that word before.
You Googled it?? I'm impressed-I have grown so lazy since becoming spoiled rotten by this fabuolus forum that I don't Google gardening stuff anymore, I just ask here ! [clappy]

-
 -
by Tamara from Minnesota on July 30, 2006 03:00 PM
Courgettes are zucchini in Britain. Several other veggies have different names- scallions/spring onions; rutabagas/swedes; eggplant/aubergine; cilantro/coriander leaf and broad beans/fava beans.

-
by Deborah L. on July 30, 2006 03:21 PM
Tamara, out here we call spring onions/scallions
"green onions".
I love them and am having chopped green onions/scallions/spring onions on a bowl of beans right now.
Potato salad isn't potato salad without 'em in my opinion !

-
 -
by glenda on July 31, 2006 09:50 AM
Hi everyone, Thanks for all the advice so far. Today I looked at the courgette and its now the size of a grapefruit. I shall have to ask my son to take a photo of it.

-
by Bestofour on July 31, 2006 01:46 PM
you better bring those things in then. They're getting too big.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by glenda on August 05, 2006 10:25 AM
IT has rained these last three days in merry England, so didnt venture into the garden to harvest my courgettes. But today ive cut one free!! Its the size of a medium honeydew melon. I have sliced it, brushed it with olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper,grilled it and its delicious!!! [Big Grin]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: rotting tomatoes #2| Next thread: Roundup Use in Vegetable Garden »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: