The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How long is good? keeping seeds, keep

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by floweringchild on October 11, 2006 01:28 AM
Forgive me for asking but .... how long is good in keeping seeds before planting? Can seeds be stored for years before planting? Does it depend on a particular seed as well? [perplexed]

-
 -
by kennyso on October 11, 2006 04:42 AM
It really depends on the type of seed that you have. I know there are lotus seeds that can sprout over a thousand years later and seeds like trillium that need to be planted fresh and cannot dry out

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by floweringchild on October 12, 2006 01:35 AM
Hi Kennyso,
Hummm, so each seed is different? Are there general seeds that fall in the category of a certain timeframe before planting or on a one to one basis? I also would like to know if seeds need freezing, filing, soaking or what before planting? [Roll Eyes] Is there a general rule? Thanks Kenny for your input!

Others? Please join in, I'm very curious about seeds and how long I can keep them before planting, whether be one year, two, three or one month. [flower]

-
 -
by comfrey on October 12, 2006 03:00 AM
Alot of seeds if stored properly can still be good even after 10 years. If you keep them in the refrigerator, and can keep moisture from forming where the seeds are...they can last for many years. But as Kenny stated it does depend on the type of seeds, as some need to be planted right away or germination rate decreases.

-
 -
by johnCT on October 12, 2006 03:57 AM
The key to storing seed is to keep them dry.

John - Zone 6
by tkhooper on October 12, 2006 05:00 AM
And yes it is one a case by case basis. There isn't any general rule to follow. Althought from the very limited number I've dealt with it seems the bigger the seed the less time it remains viable. But like I said that's a very small sample of the total seeds available.

-
 -
by floweringchild on October 13, 2006 06:05 AM
comfrey, johnCT & tk,

All sounds like good info to take note of and knowing that it is good to keep seeds properly stored, refriged and/or kept dry for prolonging of seed germination. [clappy] Too bad there's no general rule to follow with seeds though. [tears] Thanks ya'll! [Wink]

Others with tips?

-
 -
by PartyGirl on October 13, 2006 11:37 AM
Seeds from Lilium lose their viability in one year unless they are kept frozen.

PG
by floweringchild on October 14, 2006 07:36 AM
PartyGirl, hey! [wavey]

Good to know that lilly seeds are viable one year unless frozen. Thanks! [clappy]

Others?

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on December 01, 2006 10:09 AM
[flower]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: