The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

jar pickles

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Japenese morning glory.| Next thread: jasmine »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on July 18, 2006 04:16 AM
I would like to learn to can pickles?So can anyone tell me how to begin?What do I have to get and etc. Thank you
by chatonnoir on July 18, 2006 07:45 AM
Hey there stressed. My dad has an old timey and I mean old like the 1930's recipe for brine pickles in a crock. I'll post it fro you soon.
by LandOfOz on July 18, 2006 08:28 AM
Are you looking for a canned pickle recipe or a refrigerator pickle recipe? Some recipes can be canned and kept for a year, if not more, while others must be kept in the fridge and are only good for a few months.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by LandOfOz on July 18, 2006 08:29 AM
Sorry, forgot to include this, here's a link to pickle basics that might get you going where you want to go!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Amigatec on July 18, 2006 09:54 AM
You can pickle just about anything. I use a basic brine and I add to it for different types of pickles.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by ladystressout on July 19, 2006 03:44 AM
what is a basic brine and I think I would like to try the canned pickle recipe not the refriegator?
by LandOfOz on July 19, 2006 05:36 AM
I'm not sure what exactly a basic brine is, namely because I just make mini sweet pickles (I've never found a good dill recipe) with the "crock" method. Essentially, with this method, you ferment the pickles. I'll post my Great grandmothers recipe if you'd like it.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by ladystressout on July 20, 2006 04:29 AM
hello Sarah and yes would like your great grandmothers recipe for pickles.Thank you
by LandOfOz on July 20, 2006 07:27 AM
Lady, I've got the recipe posted for you. I hope that you get an opportunity to try it and that you like it!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by chatonnoir on July 21, 2006 04:15 AM
Hope this helps out my dad and his family are from Germany and my grandma swore by this.

Fermented or Brined Pickles

The brine is very important in pickle making.. Careless making or maintaining brine increases the possibility of soft and unfit pickles. Cucumbers are placed in a salt brine and fermented approx. 6 weeks.

General Directions

1. Use only freshly-harvested, slightly immature, pickling ccucumbers.
2 Weigh Cucumbers. Put in a clean pickling container; cover with 10% brine solution made by
dissolving 1 cup salt in 2 quarts water. Cukes may be added during the first two days of the
curing process if enough brine is added to cover them and salt is in correct amount to maintain
a 10% brine solution.
3. Weight cukes under brine.
4. Store in a coll dark place.
5. Day two, add 1 cup salt for each 5 lb's of cukes. This is necessary to maintain a 10% brine
solution. Salt must be added on top of plate or clesn cloth for even distribution in the brine.
6. Remove scum when it forms on top of the brine. Scum will destory the acidity of the brine and
result in spoilage of the product if not removed.
7. At the end of one week add 1/4 cup salt for each 5 lb,s of cukes. Add salt in the same manner
as No. 5. Repeat adding salt for the next 4 to 5 weeks.
8. Fermentation resulting in bubble formation should continue about 4 weeks. Test for bubbles
by tapping container on the side with your hand. A second test, cut a cuke in half;if it is the
same color throughout and has no noticeable rings or white spots, fermentation is compete.
9. Cukes maybr kept in this 10% brine . No added salt is added after they are cured. The best
temp. is 70 - 75 degrees.

Brined Dill Pickles

10lbs 4 to 6 inch cukes 11/2 cups canning salt
3/4 cup pickling spices 2 cups vinegar
2 or 3 bunches fresh dill 2 gal. water Garlic optional

Wash and drain cukes. Place half the pickling spices and one leyer of dill in a pickling
contained. Add cukes to within 4 inches of the top. Combine salt, vinegar and water;
ladle over cukes. Place layer dill and remaining pickling spices over the top.Add garlic, if
desired. Weight cukes under brine.

Store container in 70- 75 degree place. Remove suum on surface of brine each day. Let
cukes ferment until well flavored with dill and clear throughout. Pickles should be ready for
use in 2-3 weeks.

| Sorry it took me so long to get back to it. Good Luck|
by chatonnoir on July 21, 2006 04:17 AM
one more thing you can use plastic or a crock. Don't use metal for your pot
by ladystressout on July 22, 2006 02:51 AM
I email you before about printing well I click on the bottom of the site and found printer friendly so I click on it and it works.thank you again for taken the time to find the picle recipe.bye for now Rita

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Japenese morning glory.| Next thread: jasmine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: